Audio Latency - Ext Synth Recording to Audio. Always late.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
serge_a_storms

Audio Latency - Ext Synth Recording to Audio. Always late.

Post by serge_a_storms » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:13 am

Hi all,

I've just bought a hardware synth which I'd like to trigger by clips from a midi channel and record the resulting audio on to another channel. So far simple enough. I've got an external instrument device on a midi channel, midi routed to my saffire 6 usb and audio in on channels 1+2. However, when I look at the audio recording it's recording after the beat.

I've tried the same thing without the external instrument device and the audio records way after the beat. I've tried messing with hardware samples setting in ms (external instrument) and no luck. I've tried messing with the driver error compensation but that makes no difference. I've followed the ableton tutorial on setting up the preferences for recording audio and that hasn't helped either.

I've used Live for a while but have never really got to grips with the latency settings. What do I need to adjust so that my recorded audio lands on the first beat of each bar?

Imagesubir imagen
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

serge_a_storms

Re: Audio Latency - Ext Synth Recording to Audio. Always late.

Post by serge_a_storms » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:17 am

No-one has any idea?

How do you guys send midi to external equipment and record the results in time? Can live not compensate for the audio latency in any way?

Really hope someone can help as it's driving me nuts.

Thanks.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

stevep314

Post by stevep314 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:47 pm

To have it land correctly in the track you must use 'direct monitoring' from the audio card (I think your Saffire does have it) and have the input monitoring in live to 'Off'

When it's on 'Auto' or 'In' it will land in the track late by the amount you set your buffer size.
Ableton's reasoning for this: It 'assumes' the player will compensate for the delay as it is being monitored.

For even more in depth info check this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=224444

Grtz,
Steve

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks! Much appreciated.

Both for the info and the link. It's a bit of mine field trying to find the right thread to read when searching with the word 'latency' as it crops up in so many different ways.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram