Live 9+ crashes - help

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
aklisiewicz

Live 9+ crashes - help

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:31 am

WTF is going on with Ableton ? well I'm not expecting your answer here - I just noticed this company is not like it used to be anymore - VERY SAD!

I use Live since version 5. At this time I'm so disappointed with product that I requested a refund but Ableton refused it. THIS IS A RED FLAG FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS.
I upgraded my PC and OS. Super fast, 16Gig of RAM, SSD etc, running Win10/64

Live keeps crashing and basically I cannot work at all because it is so random that at any given moment it can just pop an error message. Tired to resolve it with Support but they simply ask for Crash Report files, then nothing happens. On top of that other issues are just horrible. Cannot use mouse on my 4K monitors and the workaround they recommended does not work. I also tried to download the latest version which is listed as 9.7.1
After installing Live still shows up as 9.6.2 - what a mess!

I wonder if anybody running Live 9.7+ has also issues and if they can be somehow resolved ?

Arthur
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

Schmidi

Re: Live 9+ crashes - help

Post by Schmidi » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:43 pm

I've definitely had my share of crashes since V1.5. I would recommend performing these adjustments: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10

I've noticed that my computer's have performed much better after doing those. Also, in the start/run menu, type "msconfig" and turn off any unnecessary startup programs and services.

The last culprit after that is often the drivers for an audio interface. Not sure which one you have, but it may be time to upgrade to a better card?

I'm not saying Ableton is perfectly stable, but these steps should help.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks but the link provided does not help much.

I'm IT guy and know about computers more than average guy on this forum. Some of those steps make no sense ( or I should say are insane). For example disabling firewall - what ? the author really doesn't know what he is talking about.
Most of the steps I have done already long time ago and it did not help. When Running Live 7 (before I updated) I did not have so many crashes (if at all). Live 9+ opened Pandora's box and I'm very unhappy since then.
Sadarahu

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Make sure you've updated all your service packs as this has caused issues to go away for some of the people we've helped...

Cheers
D

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:12 pm

S4racen - thanks but,...
what you mean by "service pack" ?

Art
Sadarahu

albieg

Post by albieg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 am

Are you using VST instruments or effects? Have you tried running Ableton poiting the VST folder to an empty location, so that VST stuff is not even scanned at the start?

Why is your installed version 9.6.2 although you stated you installed 9.7.1? Have you tried installing in a different folder renaming it during installation? Different installations can coexist without overlapping, and they even have their own links.

Is your RAM thoroughly tested (Memtest86+Prime95), or is your system built to be fast without ensuring stability? Is it overclocked? What's the soundcard? As an "IT guy" myself (or better an SMB system and network administrator), I'd worry about stability most. It doesn't matter if it's new or fast, it just matters if it's stable.

Any events in the event viewer that could point to general problems? Have you tried looking at Ableton logs? I say so because my own limited - at the moment - experience with Ableton 9.7.1 64bit on a (64 bit, obviously) Win8.1 system with rock solid stability is at the moment flawless except for a crash related to the MIDI mapping for remote control in a free VST instrument I was testing. And this happens despite my lack of experience with Ableton and having up to 25 audio and MIDI tracks in projects sometimes clumsily cobbled together, tons of internal racks, instruments and effects (only a single VST instruments and no VST effects at the moment), including M4L synths and reverbs, 4 different controllers (Push2, Code61, Liine Lemur, physical MIDI ins and outs): everything is thoroughly unorganised as it happens with people who still have to get the grips with the inner workings of a particular piece of software, but on a solid system, with a soundcard which is more than 10 years old but still flawless (a WaveTerminal 192X with MIODIO). As I said, a single crash in two months of rather intensive use (3-4 hours a day on a computer that is switched down and rebooted, on average, once or twice a week, and it's switched on almost 24 hours a day).

I have no reason, as of now, to consider Win10 so different at a kernel level (or driver model) from Win8.1. The version installed on my laptop (a Win10 Surface Pro) to test suitability for a portable install has worked well with ASIO4All, but that was only a test. I'd try to eliminate all external causes before thinking about Ableton Live(and yes, despite what some IT guys may think, simplifying a system to the bare minimum ALWAYS makes sense when troubleshooting or trying to ensure stability).

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:54 am

thanks for all suggestions
albieg - where would I find Live log files ?

Since most of the VSTs from my Live7 do not work anyway I will give it a try and install 64 bit version just to see what happens. RAM is 100% not an issue as well as HD. I disabled some startup programs will see what happens. In the meantime could somebody give me some WORKING instructions to make Live working on 4K monitor ?
I tried suggestions from Ableton but it did not help. At the moment in order to work with Live I need to change my resolution down on 2 monitors which is pain on the but, otherwise mouse is going crazy and sliders, zooming etc do not work as expected.

THANK YOU
Sadarahu