How to make a midi note STFU at the end of the clip(simpler)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Whaikōrero

How to make a midi note STFU at the end of the clip(simpler)

Post by Whaikōrero » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:29 am

I have searched the internet and have come up with nothing! This Q has caused me to sign up to the forums, it's done my head in.

So I have chopped up a sample to 16 pieces, and made a pattern in simpler. It's 8 bars long. at about the 7th bar I hit one of the notes, but I would like it to be silent when the clip comes to it's end, at the start of the 9th bar. Instead it my sampled voice continues to drone on for another 2 bars when instead I would like it to be silent.

I have tried using the automation to turn the volume off at the 9th bar. This worked, however it also silenced the reverb and delay that I wanted to hear continue.

I also tried placing another clip to its right, drawing a note in right at the beginning, and setting the velocity to the minimum (1) but I can still hear the sample faintly in the back. (When I did this back in my (dark old) Logic days it would cut off the previous 'clip's noise) but doesn't seem to work here.

Any help much appreciated.

Peace! 8O

PHY6

Re: How to make a midi note STFU at the end of the clip(simpler)

Post by PHY6 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 am

set release to 0

Whaikōrero

Post by Whaikōrero » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:49 am

PHY6, thanks for the response. Not sure if that is possible to do with simpler, or if that would solve my particular problem? I saw that it has a "filter envelope", I set release to zero and it didn't change anything. I'm sure the answer must be incredibly simple, anyone who makes electronic music must have encountered it. I just want to midi clip's musical content to end when the clip ends.

Whaikōrero

Post by Whaikōrero » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 am

To rephrase what I mean, if you look at this image, in particular the purple midi clip below. My problem is that when the clip is finished playing, the noise generated by the last note that has been drawn in continues to play beyond the purple clip. I would like it to stop right at the clip's end point. I.e. at the end of the purple bar. (And I am using Simpler in this instance).

The reason I want it to stop at that particular point is that rather than it being a piano note, it is a sample of a Russian Opera singer which once it goes beyond the purple clip bar, quickly becomes out of time and pitch with the rest of the composition).

Thanks for your help!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 am

Drag the end of that midi note to the right until its ending is within the clip boundaries.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Whaikōrero

Post by Whaikōrero » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 am

Tarekith, thanks for your response. However the red line is not a midi note, it is some kind of automation indicator, like volume or something (I just copied and pasted an image from the internet).

In my situation I have a midi note that ends well before the end of the midi clip, but continues to make noise once the clip is passed.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 pm

not sure if this will work : can you put the simpler into a rack then automate the mute button in the chain activator?

i had a similar issue once when i was using a bagpipe drone sound and the drone noise would continue even when i stopped playing notes, that fixed it for me, if i remember correctly

timday

Post by timday » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Is your simpler set to "one shot"? One shot is designed for drums so you still get the drum tails when tapping drum pads - they play the whole sample ignoring the note off. If that's the case, set it to "classic", turn looping off.

PHY6 is right in that you also probably want to set release to 0 - dial on the bottom right. Amp envelope not filter envelope.

Whaikōrero

Post by Whaikōrero » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Slatepipe, Timday, thanks for the responses, due to your guys advice I found a work around.

So it seems my problem is caused by a 'limitation' of sorts in simpler - that being that when one is in 'slicing mode' there is no way to control the release of individual slices? (But I suppose that's where it gets its name from)...

My solution was to right click on the sliced audio file in simpler, then clicked 'convert to drum rack', and from there was able to control the exact point at which the last slice would stop playing.

If there is a quicker way I would be interested to know, but that is still pretty damn quick all things considered. Coming from Logic and EXS24, Ableton is a dream world when it comes to freaking samples.

(When I started on Ableton I was big on slicing samples to drum racks but since I got the Push 2 have gravitated to Simpler, as it's very integrated with Push).

And the fact that it took me one year before I had to post my first dumb question goes to show how user friendly Ableton Live is!!

Peace!!

rickruss

Post by rickruss » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:22 pm

My favorite way to get around this is with Dummy Clips. Take an empty MIDI clip and color it either White or Black (ableton will never default to these colors, so you know it is your dummy). Place a utility at the end of your chain. In the envelope controls of this MIDI clip, modulate the gain of that utility to 0. This can be used to mute the clip wherever you need it to cut off! Since it is modulated and not automated, it wont get stuck in the closed position either. Cheers!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:49 pm

I know I’m late to the party. But my suggestion would’ve been using a note to choke or cut it off. Either at the very end of the phrase, or the start of the next one. Just using a much much shorter one shot blip, or by using choke settings.

pottering

Post by pottering » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:05 pm

There is a Gate mode in 1-Shot and Slice modes, and Fade Out works just like a release.
♥♥♥