Video Issue: "..could not be read ..." HELP!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Th3P3t3

Re: Video Issue: "..could not be read ..." HELP!!

Post by Th3P3t3 » Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 pm

pottering wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:37 pm
1- The Matroska (Haali) demuxer supposedly already comes with K-Lite already, so I always skipped it. Took me a while to try installing something that was already installed with K-Lite. But yeah, you got to install it after K-lite, even though the codec pack already installs it. The one inside K-Lite doesn't work for some reason.

2- The Nvidia driver offers 2 options named "integrated", one is simply "Integrated", another is something like "Auto (Integrated)". It is gotta be "Integrated", the Auto one doesn't work.
Thanks! This solved my issue on Win 10 x64!

Conrtist

Post by Conrtist » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:50 pm

Clexxx wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:44 pm

If everything fails I#ll try out a plugin called VidPlayVst
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIGnReGz_XE
Y'all, I haven't participated in an online forum in years. I signed in and responded just to thank this user for the incredible suggestion.
This VST is a game changer for my business... It bypasses all of Ableton's extremely messy video integration for Windows AND you can embed the SMPTE timecode into the video you're scoring to... Best 25ish dollars I've spent in years.

Thank you again for this suggested plugin.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:38 pm

I still say that Ableton are sweeping video under the rug. :evil:

very cool you found a solution.

I just want to mess around with video... :? I've searched the forums and talked/posted about it with people, seems it's hit or miss on PC. we all seem to agree on the matruska drivers and internal vs external video processing etc. but alas... :cry:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Hunterwolf

Post by Hunterwolf » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:43 am

no solution worked with me ... luckily I was suggested an external VST (Vidplay) and I am afraid I will have to switch to that until I go back to Cubase or Ableton will fix this horrible bug.
Very weird that it is not possible to have a video player running in a software that includes technologies such as Max and Jitter.
Extremely EXTREMELY disappointed Suite user.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:52 am

Please always report to support@ableton.com as we need more data to fix this.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Mr. Mayhem

Post by Mr. Mayhem » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm

After so many days of trying to do this. I finally solved mine! I used Handbrake to convert video files to .avi. Just use the .mp4 container and rename file extensions to .avi! So happy it works finally able to score the shortfilm I am working on. :D :D

AngryOwl

Post by AngryOwl » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:01 am

Dave Human wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:09 pm
If anyone's still struggling with this, all I had to do was install the Haali media splitter and bingo!
https://haali.su/mkv/

Basically, I followed the advice in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn0-19IZYns
This worked for me after trying everything before this. Thank you!

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Another item to note. With my aging system, video files won't import immediately to the timeline. After I click on them in the browser, it takes a minute for Live to read them, draw a waveform etc and only then it is possible to drag the clip into the arrange page. So if anyone is getting frustrated with video clips not getting recognised, give it a minute. Hope that helps.

Yes, Haali media splitter worked for me too as well as integrated graphics. In fact, I get CPU spikes when using Nvidia graphics, so now I only use integrated.

Win 7, second gen i7, SSD, 16GB RAM.

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 pm

Mr. Mayhem wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm
After so many days of trying to do this. I finally solved mine! I used Handbrake to convert video files to .avi. Just use the .mp4 container and rename file extensions to .avi! So happy it works finally able to score the shortfilm I am working on. :D :D
How did you use Handbrake ?
Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

scrouch

Post by scrouch » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:10 pm

Ran into this issue today on Live 10.1.25 in Windows 10. Installing Halli worked for me to import .MP4 and .MOV formats. For .MP4s it seems a lot more buggy and inconsistent so sometimes I need to delete and re-import the video to get it to work correctly but at least it stopped giving me the "cannot be read..." error message. This is on the latest Windows 10 patch, using NVIDIA, but I haven't updated my video drivers in probably about 9 months. Used to keep it up to date but found that some things that used to run fine would start crashing with certain updates so I got to a version that was pretty stable and just stuck with it. This seems like a codec issue, not a driver one, but different people have different solutions that work so there's definitely something weird going on with how they've integrated the video option into Live. I'm just using it to sync audio to the video clips and dumping everything out to another program to do the actual video work so there could be some other limitations with how it's supposed to be able to function that I'm not coming across.

Just being able to get it to import a simple video clip was enough of a headache.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:00 am

scrouch wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:10 pm
Ran into this issue today on Live 10.1.25 in Windows 10. Installing Halli worked for me to import .MP4 and .MOV formats. For .MP4s it seems a lot more buggy and inconsistent so sometimes I need to delete and re-import the video to get it to work correctly but at least it stopped giving me the "cannot be read..." error message. This is on the latest Windows 10 patch, using NVIDIA, but I haven't updated my video drivers in probably about 9 months. Used to keep it up to date but found that some things that used to run fine would start crashing with certain updates so I got to a version that was pretty stable and just stuck with it. This seems like a codec issue, not a driver one, but different people have different solutions that work so there's definitely something weird going on with how they've integrated the video option into Live. I'm just using it to sync audio to the video clips and dumping everything out to another program to do the actual video work so there could be some other limitations with how it's supposed to be able to function that I'm not coming across.

Just being able to get it to import a simple video clip was enough of a headache.
Just don't use .mp4 in Live, it's totally unreliable.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Laccalino

Post by Laccalino » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:37 pm

I have encountered the same difficulty, running Windows 10 64 bit with Ableton 10. After downloaded, restarted my PC 30 times with all drivers and codecs possible, still Haali Media Splitter aka Matroska did the thing. The trick is when running the install, it automatically wants to install it into the ProgramFilesx86 which is 32 bit. Just install it in Program Files and it should work without restarting your computer.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:24 am

Mr. Mayhem wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:36 pm
This! Incredible!

After SO many tries and turns. This was the solution for me.

Even made me actually log in and post in this forum after sooo many year. Thank you Mr. Mayhem!

//Carl-Mikael

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:24 am
Even made me actually log in and post in this forum after sooo many year.
I actually clicked on the topic because I was surprised to see your username alive!
Ableton Forum Moderator

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:39 pm

[jur] wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:29 pm
Lo-Fi Massahkah wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:24 am
Even made me actually log in and post in this forum after sooo many year.
I actually clicked on the topic because I was surprised to see your username alive!
I'm alive!