Programming for a usb blind aid

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
baseinstinct

Programming for a usb blind aid

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi everyone.

I am supporting a startup even winner team creating a concept for a tactile matrix controller similar to push but meant a multi-purpose tool for blind people.

As the prototype is being created in a university lab by our post-grad teammates and the blind-aid market is being researched by our business team, we would like to get at least a vague idea on how a usb connected controller is made to speak with the computer.

Those of you who are familiar with programming in Python and other languages, could you please offer some guidance?

We would greatly appreciate comments pointing us in the right direction and to the right internet resources
Thanks a lot for any help.
I will keep you updated.

breslin

Re: Programming for a usb blind aid

Post by breslin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 am

If you haven't already, perhaps get in touch with all the major midi controllers manufacturers like Akai, Novation, M-Audio etc.

baseinstinct

Re: Programming for a usb blind aid

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:45 am

Are they helpful? I remember there were some agreements between one of those and ableton reducing the chances of other players.

I have done further research to find out that first, we will need the device drivers to be written to enable communication at all.

Python is on to of that, isn't it? Does the stage of the design of the device electronics require taking any decision related to the future choice of the programming language to be used or is usb compliance and the "mechanical" functionality, ie. relevant messages sent and received - different for rotaries and buttons ets?