Annoying pitch

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
naomifix

Annoying pitch

Post by naomifix » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:16 am

I don't understand why when I use pitch control it always goes out of tune on playback!!!! I've searched for an answer everywhere and I always have to open the whole song again so annoying! Help, pretty please! Thank you!

naomifix

Re: Annoying pitch

Post by naomifix » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 am

i used this web page for help and i did it and double checked and i'm not even using that much pitch bend and it's still going out on just one midi clip.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:23 am

naomifix wrote:I don't understand why when I use pitch control it always goes out of tune on playback!!!! I've searched for an answer everywhere and I always have to open the whole song again so annoying! Help, pretty please! Thank you!
How do you "use pitch control" exactly? Clip setting? Simpler? Audio Effect? Plug-in?

Is this pitch bend? What's the instrument?
Make some music!

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:35 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
naomifix wrote:I don't understand why when I use pitch control it always goes out of tune on playback!!!! I've searched for an answer everywhere and I always have to open the whole song again so annoying! Help, pretty please! Thank you!
How do you "use pitch control" exactly? Clip setting? Simpler? Audio Effect? Plug-in?

Hi Stromkraft, this is the easiest way I know how and that's in the actual clip pressing the "E" button and moving the red line

garyd7

Post by garyd7 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 pm

I've come across this issue too. To get around it I add in an empty midi clip at the start of the track that's causing problems and also after any pitch changes, and within this empty midi clip I have a pitch automation which brings the pitch shift back to zero (there doesn't need to be any notes played in this midi clip, only the pitch automation bringing the pitch back to zero). If you don't automate the pitch back to zero then it stays at the last value it was automated to. Bit of a pain!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:18 am

garyd7 wrote:I've come across this issue too. To get around it I add in an empty midi clip at the start of the track that's causing problems and also after any pitch changes, and within this empty midi clip I have a pitch automation which brings the pitch shift back to zero (there doesn't need to be any notes played in this midi clip, only the pitch automation bringing the pitch back to zero). If you don't automate the pitch back to zero then it stays at the last value it was automated to. Bit of a pain!
It's actually quite important which instrument is involved as I seriously doubt this is a Live issue. I currently use Razor, Monark, Z3TA+ 2, Massive, Collision, Sampler, Analog Four, Minilogue and FM8. I don't encounter this issue.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:20 am

naomifix wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:

Hi Stromkraft, this is the easiest way I know how and that's in the actual clip pressing the "E" button and moving the red line
The red line is an envelope, usually the last one you touched. Can you please determine exactly what your envelope is connected to in your instrument? Which instrument is this?
Make some music!

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:14 am

Now I am having issues with samples being offline. Hopefully this all gets ironed out. Everything is brand new and maybe it's glitches, I'm not experienced enough to know but I have time and I'm patient.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:39 am

naomifix wrote:Now I am having issues with samples being offline. Hopefully this all gets ironed out. Everything is brand new and maybe it's glitches, I'm not experienced enough to know but I have time and I'm patient.
You should first make a search in the forums for similar problems and if you don't find the solution start a new thread. Also, getting deep with the manual is a great gift to give to yourself.
Make some music!

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:36 am

My solution was to not crowd the audio tracks and keep the pitch changes simple. I don't have a lot of time for a manual, I'm more of a people person than a paper person, I honestly haven't picked up the manual, I have so many issues reading books that it would only frustrate me more. I do look up what I can on the ableton site and do research lots, watch tutorials and spend lots of my time learning and trying to solve my own problems.
As long as I keep things simple Ableton seems to like me.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:07 am

naomifix wrote:My solution was to not crowd the audio tracks and keep the pitch changes simple. I don't have a lot of time for a manual, I'm more of a people person than a paper person, I honestly haven't picked up the manual, I have so many issues reading books that it would only frustrate me more. I do look up what I can on the ableton site and do research lots, watch tutorials and spend lots of my time learning and trying to solve my own problems.

Well, the best way to learn is by doing. However, I don't see how reading a manual is different from reading in a forum.
Make some music!

garyd7

Post by garyd7 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
garyd7 wrote:I've come across this issue too. To get around it I add in an empty midi clip at the start of the track that's causing problems and also after any pitch changes, and within this empty midi clip I have a pitch automation which brings the pitch shift back to zero (there doesn't need to be any notes played in this midi clip, only the pitch automation bringing the pitch back to zero). If you don't automate the pitch back to zero then it stays at the last value it was automated to. Bit of a pain!
It's actually quite important which instrument is involved as I seriously doubt this is a Live issue. I currently use Razor, Monark, Z3TA+ 2, Massive, Collision, Sampler, Analog Four, Minilogue and FM8. I don't encounter this issue.
This is a Live issue only when you are shifting the pitch from the midi control within the midi clip. If you are automating the pitch from within a plugin then this does not apply as you are not automating the midi signal before it goes through the plugin.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:52 pm

for samples offline :arrow: always do collect all and save

for pitch :arrow: use pen for precise semitones steps in the envelop'editor of a clip

Extra note: beware the pitchbend, sometimes it doesn't reset at zero even if the clip envelop says so.

if a clip end on another value than zero, it can lead to troubles[+ or - lead to same behavior]

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 pm

garyd7 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
This is a Live issue only when you are shifting the pitch from the midi control within the midi clip. If you are automating the pitch from within a plugin then this does not apply as you are not automating the midi signal before it goes through the plugin.
What? I'm automating these plug-ins with Pitchbend. That's external right? Never happened.

Or are we talking about external hardware synths?

What do you mean "shifting the pitch"? This is not about the MIDI Pitchbend, but some other pitch automation?
Make some music!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:06 pm

naomifix wrote:My solution was to not crowd the audio tracks and keep the pitch changes simple. I don't have a lot of time for a manual, I'm more of a people person than a paper person, I honestly haven't picked up the manual, I have so many issues reading books that it would only frustrate me more. I do look up what I can on the ableton site and do research lots, watch tutorials and spend lots of my time learning and trying to solve my own problems.
It ain't War and Peace. It's a reference manual.

That means you look up the sections that refer to the features you're having issues with.

If your idea of using a manual is sitting down next to a fire with a glass of wine to read through the entire Live manual in one sitting then it may be time to change your thinking.
Unsound Designer