Annoying pitch

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stefan Jantschek

Re: Annoying pitch

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:17 am

Hermanus wrote:
Extra note: beware the pitchbend, sometimes it doesn't reset at zero even if the clip envelop says so.

if a clip end on another value than zero, it can lead to troubles[+ or - lead to same behavior]
Exactly THIS is the biggest bug within L6/L7/L8/L9 nowadays.
Addressed everywhere long time ago.
Dozens of bug reports.
It makes pitch bend recordings/automations completely useless.

Can anyone explain why this is still not fixed???

*S.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 am

Stefan Jantschek wrote:
Can anyone explain why this is still not fixed???
Given the fact I never encounter the pitchbend not resetting, what exactly is "this"?

I also have issues and that seemingly only happens to me, but I make an effort to explain how to reproduce. I don't assume everyone has the same issue.

Have you been working with your specific problem together with support? Do you have a problem Live set you share?
Make some music!

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 am

The bug occurs due to a missing pitch bend reset.

Example:
  • - create a session midi clip using any softsynth.
    - draw any note
    - use the pitch bend automation to bend this note up or down.
    (recording pitch wheel does the same...)
    - stop the clip somewhere the bend happens.
    - start another clip on the same track.
The whole sequence is out of tune until you touch a pitchbend controller to reset.

I don´t know how many renders i got useless due to that bug.
There are lots of reports about that matter if you search...

*S.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Stefan Jantschek wrote:The bug occurs due to a missing pitch bend reset.

Example:
  • - create a session midi clip using any softsynth.
    - draw any note
    - use the pitch bend automation to bend this note up or down.
    (recording pitch wheel does the same...)
    - stop the clip somewhere the bend happens.
    - start another clip on the same track.
The whole sequence is out of tune until you touch a pitchbend controller to reset.
Your steps are insufficient. It's not enough to "start another clip on the same track". It has to (!) be a clip without the same automation. In this case pitchbend.

You're quite logically state this happens due "a missing pitch bend reset". However, I'm not sure at all this a bug. I think it's a design choice.

Personally, I never encounter this because I always reset my pitchbends and automations, if that actually is what I want. I think your idea that this is a bug is pretty stupid to be quite honest as this behaviour is to be expected IMHO. Maybe it's my background with hardware sequencers that don't do the job for you that I find it self-evident that if you place a parameter at a position then it doesn't magically reset.

If automation resets would be an option I suppose I wouldn't mind it, but I find the way it works now to be predictable.

What I'm very upset about, however, is that displaying MIDI modulation in Arrangement view seem downright impossible. Live isn't perfect. We may have different views on how it's not, however.
Make some music!

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:29 am

Stromkraft wrote:
It's not enough to "start another clip on the same track". It has to (!) be a clip without the same automation. In this case pitchbend.
Wrong.
It sometimes happens even when you start the same clip again.
Obviously with the same automation (reset).

The reason could be that the pitch bend reset command sometimes does not get
recognized within a certain amount of midi stream data.

Same problem when you record a new clip.
Any missing or unrecognized pitch bend resets couln´t really called "design".

Did you do some search about that?
As as an alternative method of thinking others stupidity just because
it never happened to you? :D

*S.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:29 am

Stefan Jantschek wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
It's not enough to "start another clip on the same track". It has to (!) be a clip without the same automation. In this case pitchbend.
Wrong.
It sometimes happens even when you start the same clip again.
Obviously with the same automation (reset).

The reason could be that the pitch bend reset command sometimes does not get
recognized within a certain amount of midi stream data.

Same problem when you record a new clip.
Any missing or unrecognized pitch bend resets couln´t really called "design".
Dropped MIDI data could be a bug, yes. I've never argued anything else.

Since I can repeat what you describe with this setup: A clip with no pitchbend after one with; and since I can NOT repeat with your suggestion above: a clip with pitchbend after having finished a clip with pitchbend up or down, or the same clip, then
clearly!!,
your steps are indeed insufficient!!

I've been using Live 9 every day on 5 machines since 3 years, with external synths and software synths — not so many Live native ones though — and I have never ever encountered this issue. I've encountered many other issues and have been as helpful as I can in identifying these with reproducible sets or steps, that I haver given to support and the beta team.

That does not at all mean others can't encounter this! It's preposterous for you to suggest that's what I'm saying! Maybe it's too much for you to comprehend that there can be multiple aspects to a problem that appears to be clear cut and always repeatable for you.

I have not at all suggested you or anyone else cannot have a problem with pitchbend or other automation behaving unpredictably. I suggest that what you describe are two problems (or even more), that may, or may not be, related. The fact others can't repeat this should be used as information that your instructions for reproducibility are insufficient. Would it be terrible hard work for you to make steps even I can reproduce with the same clips, or clips with pitchbend after the bend? If so, what's so hard about that?

I'd suggest one thing to do in these situations are to share sets displaying the issue in question, as well as the absence of it, with other interested users.

This way one can pinpoint all the necessary steps and share these with Ableton support. It's certainly possible this is already known, as you suggest, but it's not on me to find this out. I don't have the problem! (other than what I acknowledged previously)

This is on you to locate, present and make known so there can be a bug case, or so that pertinent information for an existing bug case can be added, in order for there to be a chance of resolving it.

Ableton can do some things to find bugs on their own surely, and sometimes they may appear do nothing about it. In this case we can nag on them about this to fix it.

What we cannot do IMHO is to put together different issues and call them one thing, present insufficient information for others to reproduce and just whine a lot on why Ableton don't address our pet peeves.

What you need to ask yourself is whether you actually want to solve this automation problem of yours or if you want to whine about it. The choice is yours.

I'm not at all against fixing issues, but I'm not asking that Ableton fix serious issues that seemingly only I, or very few other users, have. Sometimes you need to face that if it only happens for you then it is you that need to change something, possibly in your set up or how you do things. On the odd chance sometimes it's the opposite of course. Then it's even more important to be able to make the problem happen at will or otherwise diagnose the issue. Sometimes, or typically, with the assistance of Ableton support.

All I ask is that you make an effort to make this problem reproducible for anyone! Because if even if someone else can't reproduce, that's information you can use to refine the effort to solve the problem. In the end it's on Ableton, yes, but they can't fix what they don't know. Why not help them a little?

I suppose first step is to find the bug report at centercode, present it, so people can verify they can make the problem happen or not and also so people can vote.

I know, you rather would like to make music. I'm the same. Sometime it feels good to do what you can to contribute to a solution, however. This is a choice that we all will face sooner or later. Ableton could have a gigantic beta bug team and we would never have to get involved in these kind of issues, but likely then Live would be quite a bit more expensive. Pick your poison.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:39 am

Stefan Jantschek wrote: As as an alternative method of thinking others stupidity just because it never happened to you?
Let me also add that just because I find your idea to be stupid, this doesn't mean I'm saying you are. If I thought you were stupid I'd ignore you.

The reality is we all have stupid ideas. Me too! When people show me I do think wrongly about something that's wonderful.
Make some music!

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:56 am

https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 83c2b24a13

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182480&hilit=Pitch+bend+bug

...and so on.

...and the "solution":

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... Automation

...that does not really help if you record new clips on the fly.

Not only IMHO pitchbend is different from other automation data.
It has the power to destroy your whole arrangement.

There is a reason for putting a mechanical drawback in every pitchwheel... :lol:

*S.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:34 am

Stefan Jantschek wrote:https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 83c2b24a13

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182480&hilit=Pitch+bend+bug

...and so on.

...and the "solution":

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... Automation

...that does not really help if you record new clips on the fly.

Not only IMHO pitchbend is different from other automation data.
It has the power to destroy your whole arrangement.

There is a reason for putting a mechanical drawback in every pitchwheel... :lol: .
Sure is, but I think the choice they had to make was to cater for similar behaviour as in Arrangement where it's more natural to expect automation to stay where you left it in the clip before.

A reset at stop of clip playback makes more sense in Session. I basically use the method suggested in that help article to reset. As I said if there is pitchbend in the clip playing next Live will always read and follow the value set in that clip (unless a max for live bug is triggered that puts automation out of playback, which may create havoc).

I see that I responded in that old thread but I didn't read the follow ups. I voted for that suggestion now.
Make some music!

naomifix

Post by naomifix » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:01 pm

I don't know how anyone has time to read the manual, I have some sort of disability that prevents me from reading anything logical lol. I can read magazines and romance novels and comics. But manuals? I'm not an academic type person. I am an intuitive learner. These forum threads are for learning just as much as the manual. If you don't have an answer don't post anything. I don't have time to read all this stuff. I see a few helpful tips in there, like for one that it's not just me other people have this problem and maybe looking into it would help. I don't want to phone Ableton and bug them. I'm sure they have more important things like crashes to worry about. This is a minor problem and I sometimes have it and sometimes don't. Now that I know it's bug related I just delete the track that pisses me off and try something else. I thought I was doing something wrong but I'm not. And I don't HAVE to read the manual, I can go here and see if anyone has a quick fix. People can stop saying read the manual. It's not mandatory. I get a headache trying. And Ableton offers lots of support and so do abelton users and youtube people who I've connected with. Thanks for the answers. Replies, everything. Thank you.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 am

Stefan Jantschek wrote:
There is a reason for putting a mechanical drawback in every pitchwheel... :lol:
Stefan, seems Tom Cosm found it reasonable to bring out a Max For Live solution, partial at least, for you and others afflicted by this. Enjoy the Pitch Bend Killer! This is triggered at transport stop.

I'm not sure if Live 10's "chase MIDI" function also addresses your issue.
Make some music!

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi Stromkraft

Thanks for that info!
I will take it in my toolbox :)

Last thing i hear about was that there is even a change org petition going
on to move Ableton to react.
- did not help.
First thing i tried with L10b, still not fixed.
Bug Report reaction was just a verification that this is a long time known issue.

My workaround since ages is setting manually one pitchbend automation point at the beginning
of every session clip with pitchbend use.
That point needs to be slightly below or above zero.
Zero won´t work.

The way this is handled from Ableton is still one of the biggest mysteries of that company...

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:55 pm

I think calling this "the pitchbend bug" is a bit of a misnomer, because I think it's working the way it's intended, but I also believe that to the vast majority of users, this behaviour is not desirable: if you want your pitch bent, you bend it. If you don't want your pitch bent, you don't bend it. In other words: if no pitchbend automation is present in a clip, the value should reset to zero automatically. I've submitted this as a feature request in at least one beta period, rather than a bug report.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Stefan Jantschek wrote: My workaround since ages is setting manually one pitchbend automation point at the beginning
of every session clip with pitchbend use.
That point needs to be slightly below or above zero.
Zero won´t work.
Well, as I've hinted I reset my pitch bends. Pretty much all clips in my projects with bends will look like this:

resetting the bend at the end of the bar. This means I don't have to pay attention to this in clips without bends. I'm not sure why even my performance recorded bends gets reset. Maybe it's a habit I have using MIDI since quite a long time. I will pay some attention to this to find out, because I've forgotten it.

A requirement for the above to work is that I use Global launch quantize set to bars so I don't accidentally launch a new clip mid-pitchbend.
Make some music!

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 am

Stromkraft, can you please try this:

- use session view.
- play that clip (the one from the image above).
- now hit stop at 1.4.3 (where pitch bend is active) not at the end of the clip!
- hit play again to start that clip from 1.1.

what happens?

@sporkles:
Why is it a misnomer to call it a bug?
With all my imagination i am not able to see even a minority of users who might benefit
from a pitch slided synth line that changes accidentally to the key of your last stop position.
After dozens of rendered audio files out of tune i call this a major bug since ages.