"Tweaking" audio for best audio-to-MIDI conversion?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Kevin Hamler

"Tweaking" audio for best audio-to-MIDI conversion?

Post by Kevin Hamler » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:48 am

I'm trying to transcribe isolated bass guitar tracks into MIDI to be imported into Guitar Pro. I didn't have much luck with Live's audio-to-MIDI feature, so I'm trying Anthem Score, which is doing a much better job.

However, as bass guitar is often "organic" with string noise, variable attacks and delays, etc, Anthem Score is having a hard time. So I'm using Live's brickwall limiting and gate to make the attack transients more instant and the decay instant. I basically want each bass note to be a single maximum volume, more or less showing each note's waveform shape as a rectangle. This makes' Live's pseudo-markers more accurate, and Anthem Score does a better job of timing.

Is there a better way to do this? Also, I'm quantizing the audio to an eighth-note grid to help with the timing. Otherwise, Anthem Score throws in sixteenth notes and rests, etc, and doesn't align the music with the measures. I basically want to suck the dynamics out of each note, and force the result to a tightly quantized grid.

Any help appreciated!
(The artist formerly known as hambone1)