VIDEO EXPORT PROBLEM

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hurricaneDJ

VIDEO EXPORT PROBLEM

Post by hurricaneDJ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Problem when exporting a video mix from Live suite 9..

Audio Renders fine, Video Render goes about 1/2 way and then video window goes black, and the render stops.. the Quicktime that is created has video up until the point where the render stopped and then black screen for the rest of the 60min Mix... Audio all the way through.//

I have tried numerous export video settings, and deleted any videos i thought could be corrupt... Same thing every time,.. Frustrating to say the least.

My setup is Macbook Pro i72.5, 16 gig ram, 2 hard drives one 2TB SSD, another 1TB HHD
Latest version or Sierra, and Live Suite.

I have made many video mixes using Live in the past... never encountered this.

Vimeo.com/VjHurricane

S.O.S. HELP!!

hurricaneDJ

Re: VIDEO EXPORT PROBLEM

Post by hurricaneDJ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:43 pm

Bump for help.... anyone

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:05 am

Lives video capabilities are basic at best. In the past I have had to render all my video to a compatible MOV file even if they were already MOV.

Maybe find a format converter and try render all your video to the exact same format/bitrate and try again or as a test use the ones that work for the first part and just duplicate that throughout to see if it works.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:47 am

What's the production reason for not using a low res reference video inside live and export only audio, then putting audio and the high res video (identical) together in a real video application? That seems to me as the more natural approach.

I have some real time generating devices in Live, but I can't record those as video anyway.
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:28 am

hurricaneDJ wrote:
I have made many video mixes using Live in the past... never encountered this.

Vimeo.com/VjHurricane

S.O.S. HELP!!
And what has changed in your setup since "in the past"?
A 60mn video export seems a little bit too much regarding Live's video capabilities.
Have you asked support@ableton.com ?
Ableton Forum Moderator

Scarfield

Post by Scarfield » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:11 pm

I had the same problem. It seems to be a bug in the 64 bit version. I downloaded the 32 bit version and had no problems rendering.

derekjerome

Post by derekjerome » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 am

Thank you!!! This was driving me crazy for a week. 32bit did the trick for me too!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:55 am

derekjerome wrote:Thank you!!! This was driving me crazy for a week. 32bit did the trick for me too!
But did you report this as a bug? Given Ableton are dropping 32bit using that is just a temporary workaround.

And what quality/format did you use?
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:06 pm

derekjerome wrote:Thank you!!! This was driving me crazy for a week. 32bit did the trick for me too!
On osx or windows?
Never had any problem with Live 64bit exporting video.
Ableton Forum Moderator

igneous

Post by igneous » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:14 pm

I am having this same problem in Live 10.01

aekorps

Post by aekorps » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:50 am

This is STILL a problem in Live 10? I haven't upgraded yet. Glad I didn't. Using the 32bit workaround isn't an option as all my plugins have been 64bit for a while now.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:02 am

I reported this bug in january 2014... It's only happening on Mac. Last time I was able to render a video in live 64 bits, I left the audio at 44.1Khz.

But it was a short video.

And yes, I use the 32 bits version too to export video. Support told me it was because Apple never provided a quicktime codec in 64 bits.

Good luck
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:46 am

Repeating my old and well-working work flow solution from a similar thread:
Stromkraft wrote: My solution, in the company where I've worked for 10 years, is to use lowres reference copies in Live, export the audio as with any production and place it in a proper video editor. There are even free ones. Everyone I know in the business works this way.

The very idea to run professional grade video material trough Live is crazy IMHO.
Forget marketing speak and accept the fact that Live just isn't a worthy video editor environment. If you aspire to be a video pro, then you should work out work flows that you own and not try to force tools into being what they are not.
Make some music!

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Forget marketing speak and accept the fact that Live just isn't a worthy video editor environment. If you aspire to be a video pro, then you should work out work flows that you own and not try to force tools into being what they are not.
I agree with you, on my side all I ask for is to be able to render a video to show a movie Maker, publicist, etc. how the music sounds on his video.
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:02 am

Stromkraft wrote:Repeating my old and well-working work flow solution from a similar thread:
Stromkraft wrote: My solution, in the company where I've worked for 10 years, is to use lowres reference copies in Live, export the audio as with any production and place it in a proper video editor. There are even free ones. Everyone I know in the business works this way.

The very idea to run professional grade video material trough Live is crazy IMHO.
Live is a professional application, and if its features are described in the official material in such a way that the customer is led to believe the software is capable of doing something, it really should be capable of doing that.

For what it's worth, I've been exporting videos for clients for many years using Live, in exactly the way lapieuvre describes. This sort of use is at the very core of why video support is there in the first place (see https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/working-with-video/ ). It's not intended to be used as a replacement for actual video editing applications, but it's very much intended for people working to-picture. Exporting previews and even doing trivial edits while working to-picture is a natural part of that, and Live supports all of that very nicely. Unless the user encounters problems that hinder the designed use of the program, of course, in which cases Live really isn't working as intended.

Alas, my experiences are on the Windows side of this, so if the problems are arising on a Mac, I can't be of much help. If on Windows, see that you have the necessary supported/compatible codecs (and only those) installed. Search for articles like this: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... sing-Video