VIDEO EXPORT PROBLEM

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: VIDEO EXPORT PROBLEM

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:19 am

Nokatus wrote: Live is a professional application, and if its features are described in the official material in such a way that the customer is led to believe the software is capable of doing something, it really should be capable of doing that.

For what it's worth, I've been exporting videos for clients for many years using Live, in exactly the way lapieuvre describes. This sort of use is at the very core of why video support is there in the first place (see https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/working-with-video/ ). It's not intended to be used as a replacement for actual video editing applications, but it's very much intended for people working to-picture. Exporting previews and even doing trivial edits while working to-picture is a natural part of that, and Live supports all of that very nicely. Unless the user encounters problems that hinder the designed use of the program, of course, in which cases Live really isn't working as intended.
Well, I get your point, but as I see it if you need the job done you find the solutions. My suggestion to use reference video and export and place the audio in the video editor is not overly complicated.

I really feel Live's video capabilities to be seriously lacking and I have no trust in this area of the app since a long time.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:22 am

lapieuvre wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:
Forget marketing speak and accept the fact that Live just isn't a worthy video editor environment. If you aspire to be a video pro, then you should work out work flows that you own and not try to force tools into being what they are not.
I agree with you, on my side all I ask for is to be able to render a video to show a movie Maker, publicist, etc. how the music sounds on his video.
I just gave up on this and use reference video instead and export only audio as with any project. The end result is both fast and of high quality as well as predictable, which might be the most important thing.
Make some music!

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:28 am

I definitely subscribe to the idea of "use what gets the job done today", yeah. It's good thinking, and it's always good to have a plan b of some sort handy -- even for the most important and often used functionality of any tool you're using. So if you need to work with video, it doesn't hurt to have something around like a system running the free version of Resolve, for example: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... ciresolve/

It's a true monster for what it does, at no cost at all.

That being said, this doesn't mean a professional tool shouldn't work as advertised and described, of course. Just pointing out that I've successfully used Live for video exports in my work with zero problems over the years. Providing to-picture previews for studios I'm working with, I have come to think of it as a dependable and trustworthy solution for that. Basically, it has worked as described even in the manual, as it should. In this sense, this functionality is not unlike any other functionality also described in the manual: if it doesn't work as outlined, that sould be corrected in one way or another, instead of taken as "oh well, of course this part of the software doesn't work, move on."

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:39 am

Nokatus wrote: That being said, this doesn't mean a professional tool shouldn't work as advertised and described, of course. Just pointing out that I've successfully used Live for video exports in my work with zero problems over the years. Providing to-picture previews for studios I'm working with, I have come to think of it as a dependable and trustworthy solution for that. Basically, it has worked as described even in the manual, as it should. In this sense, this functionality is not unlike any other functionality also described in the manual: if it doesn't work as outlined, that sould be corrected in one way or another, instead of taken as "oh well, of course this part of the software doesn't work, move on."
Agreed.
Make some music!

n1n0

Post by n1n0 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:22 am

In general I have rendered a lot of videos using ableton live and I have never had a problem. Then for the first time today I had this issue. Looked it up online and seems it is a common issue. In my case I was using images, not video, so I am not sure if it is the same or not. I was able to solve it, maybe someone else will find this info useful. For me the issue was as follows:

1. I opened the image in photoshop.
2. I export the image using a non-standard size (1778 X 1000) with a standard aspect ratio.
3. I put the image in Ableton live and export it using quicktime h.264 and I tried a few sizes (1778 X 1000, 1280×720, 1920×1080)
4. Final video export is distorted.
5. I go back to photoshop
6. I export the image using a standard size (1920×1080)
7. I put the image in Ableton live and export it using quicktime h.264 and I export it 1920×1080
8. Final video export is ok.
9. I tried a few more non-standard and standard size, same results.

For me it had to do with the size of the image I was using in Ableton.
'[O_o].