distortion on sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
isarrellblower

distortion on sound

Post by isarrellblower » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi I am a newby with Ableton 9lite but with your help have been enjoying learning.
I have come across a problem which need help for please.

When i drag a backing track into Ableton the quality is excellent, when i vocalise over it its great.

I decided then to go to the help and the tuition provided but the quality of sound is very distorted as if its being over driven. Similarly when i put a midi file into it a choose and instrument , very distorted again as if something is being over driven.

as the tuition is "built in" I was wondering if I have the wrong setting some where. Auio for backing and my voice , perfect.

Help Irene

Tarekith

Re: distortion on sound

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:06 pm

If you pull down the master volume fader some, does the distortion go away?

albieg

Post by albieg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Other than clipping, if you only load a tutorial (for instance, A Tour of Live set) without changing any volume and it has an apparently distorted sound, the issue could be a poor performance of the system producing so many dropouts that the output sounds distorted. That would explain the difference described when only one or two audio tracks are present. When an internal instrument is playing a MIDI part dragging and dropping Brother John or a composition by Franz Liszt makes a difference in terms of needed resources, at least with low specs PCs.

Generally speaking, without knowing more of the system in terms of CPU/RAM/OS/Soundcard (and soundcard settings in Live) it's difficult to say what is "wrong", and if and how it can be solved.

isarrellblower

Post by isarrellblower » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:25 pm

taking the master volume down makes no difference to the distortion. And when i say distortion , i mean very bad distortion.

To the other reply, i will look into it as its late at night here and time for bed, thanks.