Warping Vocals problems Ableton Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lacadz

Warping Vocals problems Ableton Live 9

Post by lacadz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:08 am

Hello Guys, i come to see you cos i have many problems each time for each project to warp precisely vocals in ableton live 9, i use complex option of warping and folllowed many tutorials but it doesn'y groove precisely like i would wish. I have also melodyne but i don't master it very welle and i wanted to know if it was possible to begin warping with ableton and finish more precisely with melodyne ? is there seomeone who master very well these techniques of vocals warping ?

Thanks a lot !

Yannis

Stromkraft

Re: Warping Vocals problems Ableton Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:22 pm

lacadz wrote:Hello Guys, i come to see you cos i have many problems each time for each project to warp precisely vocals in ableton live 9, i use complex option of warping and folllowed many tutorials but it doesn'y groove precisely like i would wish. I have also melodyne but i don't master it very welle and i wanted to know if it was possible to begin warping with ableton and finish more precisely with melodyne ? is there seomeone who master very well these techniques of vocals warping ?
Are you editing the vocals mainly for rhythm? Unless you're shortening tonal passages, and provided you are not changing the tempo from the recorded tempo, you can delay phrases with Beats Mode without changing the quality one bit.

Simply add one Warp marker after the first phrase in a silent point and then another just at the beginning of the phrase you want to move to a later time.

Before moving later:

After moving later:

The section before the first Warp Marker will not move and the section after the second Warp marker will slide later intact. If the section between markers isn't silent you may want to use a gate or do a clip volume drop on those areas. I prefer the gate.

To move something earlier you need existing silent space to move into:

Before moving earlier:

After moving earlier:

If you're not comfortable working with warping or find it cumbersome to replace later sections that are shifted when you edit earlier ones you could also duplicate the clip into multiple — as many as you need to keep separate — and change the start and end points, crop the clips at before and after silent sections so there's one phrase in each clip that you want and turn off warping (assuming they're basically at the right phrase rhythm internally, if not keep them warped and adjust this as well) and move these cropped clips in the right order to the Arrangement View timeline inside a section that you loop and arrange these different clips to your liking. Note that consolidating separate clips can affect quality.

For convincingly shortening phrases and for changing the tempo I think you better get deep into Melodyne. If nothing else the results of the described native methods should be able to to import into Melodyne, after you've flattened these in duplicate tracks.
Make some music!

lacadz

Re: Warping Vocals problems Ableton Live 9

Post by lacadz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks for all these precisions, very useful, i think my problem is really that i use vocals with tempo which is changing all aong the track, i fond a super trick, in melodyne we can set and block the tempo on a vocal, just have to adjust warp markers and it's done.

thanks for your help