Are you still using your Live 8 Library with Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Are you still using your L8 Library?

Yes
65%
No
32%
I have no idea what this means
3%

Total votes: 34

Angstrom

Are you still using your Live 8 Library with Live 9

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:42 pm

I'm curious, because I still use parts of my Live 8 library and for various reasons I cant get rid of it. EG: Session Drums Live 8 version was better than the Live 9 version.

How to tell : is there an entry under Places, with a special folder that has an 8 on it?
that's a yes.

mholloway

Re: Are you still using your Live 8 Library with Live 9

Post by mholloway » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:58 pm

Preferences has a setting for locating your Live 8 library on your system; when that's been done (optionally) it shows up in the browser as you've pointed out.

Why this is worth a poll, though, is beyond me.

Use it if you need it.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 am

Well, because Its about 50 gigabytes of duplicated content. I mean, in addition to the L9 library.
Sure we all have giant HD's but we still have to maintain them. Two sets of session drums, two sets of latin percussion, two sets of orchestral, etc.

And because Ableton should have integrated it, but they didn't, because they assumed everyone would just delete their L8 library move over to the L9 library. I mentioned at the time this was crazy, and at the time I did so there wasnt even a method of LINKING the old library thats how forgotten it was. That people had their own content, and that there was duplicate content.

So the point of this poll is to show that even after 3 years people are still stuck maintaining both libraries and that Ableton ought to have supplied an importer / updater. That after 3 years the resource management and versioning sucks hard.

The second point is to say "dont do this again in L10, because this was ... Not a good solution and people are still stuck using it". I dont want 3 libraries to maintain.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 am

Angstrom wrote: Sure we all have giant HD's
I've been switching over to SSDs and "giant" disappears with those, unless you're rolling in cash..

I also collect sample libraries so I have no extra space. Thanks for reminding me to delete the 8 library.
I don't even really use it to be honest. Prefer third party mostly.

For the millionth time, love Live, hate how mouse dependent the interface is, so not a fan of built in content in that regard.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 am

Angstrom wrote:Well, because Its about 50 gigabytes of duplicated content. I mean, in addition to the L9 library.
Sure we all have giant HD's but we still have to maintain them. Two sets of session drums, two sets of latin percussion, two sets of orchestral, etc.

And because Ableton should have integrated it, but they didn't, because they assumed everyone would just delete their L8 library move over to the L9 library. I mentioned at the time this was crazy, and at the time I did so there wasnt even a method of LINKING the old library thats how forgotten it was. That people had their own content, and that there was duplicate content.

So the point of this poll is to show that even after 3 years people are still stuck maintaining both libraries and that Ableton ought to have supplied an importer / updater. That after 3 years the resource management and versioning sucks hard.

The second point is to say "dont do this again in L10, because this was ... Not a good solution and people are still stuck using it". I dont want 3 libraries to maintain.
If I remember correctly, when Live 9 came out, it was missing some of the presets and content from the Live 8 library. That's why Ableton made the Live 8 library available for download.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Exactly, so if you needed to load an older project from the previous versions of Live, you could still access those presets if you needed to retweak. Personally I ditched the Live 8 library shortly after Live 9 came out.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:33 pm

Oh I know what it's for .. I'm just pointing out that it is an orphaned resource which lurks on many people's systems. Unfortunately many of the actual L8 packs were better than their currently available versions. The integration of the old L8 library wasn't handled well at the time and now it's simply forgotten.

Example: importing user presets from L8 involved loading up each preset from the old library and then re-saving it so that it went into the new library location.
A more user-friendly option would have been a 1-button "import" dialog.

Second Example: L8 official packs were much better than the L9 Packs. Session drums multimic had 29 kits in it. This version of the pack is no longer available.
Session Drums L9 has 14 kits in it.

There were choices made at the time to (I assume) cater to Push 1's first firmware and the state of the API at taht time ... and that choice had detrimental effects on the packs.
The layout is of Session drums multimic is much worse in the L9 version of Session Drums (for example)

The L8 packs were better. In fact I had to campaign strongly to have the pedal control put back into the L9 version, but in the end it wasn't worth it as the pack has been crippled.

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:09 am

Angstrom wrote: Example: importing user presets from L8 involved loading up each preset from the old library and then re-saving it so that it went into the new library location.
A more user-friendly option would have been a 1-button "import" dialog.
Why not just drag them over in explorer?
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

braduro

Post by braduro » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:04 pm

This is a pragmatic question. Was Library 8 on an internal or external hard drive when you linked to it? Are you still using the same machine as when you had live 8? Is your music heavily sample-dependent?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Library 8 was on an internal drive,

I am using a newer machine

Sample heavy ? I dont know what that means in the modern age. My music is audio recordings of me playing synths and guitar bass, which do then record to wav files, which are then edited, so samples? I then effect the sound and re-sample them and play them back with Sampler. Yes. The content from the factoryLibrary which I use is mainly Session Drums / Latin percussion which are indeed samples. But my own content from the L8 library is probably only about 25% Sample based

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:32 am

I know this is off topic (sorry) but I just have to say that I'm really digging your website Angstrom. VERY good indeed mate, nice work!
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:47 am

So is there no way to get all packs you paid for in Live 8 even if you didn't upgrade to Live 9? Why is that? Is it too much to ask for to be able to get the latest update of what your product came with as long as the company still exists?

I upgraded, so I'm not thinking about myself here, but on those that didn't for various reasons.

And why exactly shouldn't owners that did update be able to rescue old packs if they wanted to?
Make some music!

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Live 7 Legacy Pack
Live 8 Legacy Pack

I guess that's just the default content.
But I'll just leave it here.
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57 am

I use the presets from live 8. There are great instrumen presets and great effect rack presets. They all are missing in L9. For example - electric piano presets like riders on the storm, no quarter and you are my best friend. Effect wise there is an effect rack for acoustic guitar processing with stereo delay. Very good one.
I have no explanation why old libraries were way better and way richer.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Stace30 wrote:I know this is off topic (sorry) but I just have to say that I'm really digging your website Angstrom. VERY good indeed mate, nice work!

Thanks!
I have a bunch of unfinished articles on there which I really need to publish. Also, a ton of songs and presets just sat, waiting for that free hour in the day. That magical free hour