Stories of Crack, Sizzle and Pop - Solved (It was the SSD)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stromkraft

Re: Stories of Crack, Sizzle and Pop

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:Coolbook is the last app I know that could do this. Doesn't support i3, i5 and i7.
I also found ACPI CPU Throttling driver for MacOS X, but sadly also this doesn't work with newer OS X versions.
The developer of ACTdfM got back to me. He's moved on to Windows and this old app is just a piece of software history now.

The developer of Coolbook hasn't, but there's nothing to indicate this app has been, or will be, further developed since 2011.

Actually, I realized I don't really need to turn this off. I need only to know if CPU throttling has been activated or not. There must be some kind of indicator for this, surely. What do you think?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Re: Stories of Crack, Sizzle and Pop - Solved (It was the SSD)

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:49 am

OK, as you might have read elsewhere I updated with a clean installation to macOS 10.12 Sierra, that with it brought me new beta drivers from RME only to discover that my 1TB Crucial SSD suddenly was dead slow.

It's unclear how slow it was before the new installation. However, after I've updated the firmware and left it running idle for 9 hours unbooted and with no tasks working on the disk which triggered automatic garbage collection (a built-in process) I'm back to, or even well surpassing old performance.

This also meant that in follow up sessions to the set mentioned initially here, I've piled on plug-ins and the engine load is hardly moving and staying under 40%.

While I can't prove if it's the new OS, the new drivers or the smashingly fast disk system, my system is back baby! And I believe it was the SSD speed that was acting up. Not so I noticed it with any detection in Live, but enough to insert wait states in the processing stages.
Make some music!