Mackie MCU Pro, Push2 and Ableton integration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SgtBilko

Mackie MCU Pro, Push2 and Ableton integration

Post by SgtBilko » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:20 pm

I have just purchased a Mackie MCU Pro and a "Live" overlay for Live (£35 !!).

My initial impression is very good, but it seems to me that the Fader Banks and Channel controls don't integrate well with Push2 or Live.

With Session selected on the MCU the left / right arrows next to the jog wheel work just like the left/right arrows on Push2 - they cycle through the tracks left or right "selecting" the track focus. So far so good. When Push2 reaches the end of the 8 current tracks and you press the arrow key again the display moves one over so that you can still see the currently selected track. The MCU does not - so you are able to select a track not in the current bank view....... In my view this defeats the object of using the arrows to select the track to work on...... Much better if this control mirrored Push2. The problem being (for example) if I change to a track outside of the current bank with either Push2 or MCU I then have to press a Bank button to alter the selected tracks volume..... 2 button presses where one would do - not a big deal but I bought the MCU to eliminate tasks not create them..

The Bank Fader controls changes bank regardless of what track is selected. This is fine, but it seems to me that Fader Channel controls are a waste of time..... I can't see the use of being able to scroll through the channels without an associated "select" movement.... again I think these would be better mirroring the left and right arrows in Push2.

So far I haven't worked out what the "Page" controls under assignment do.

Is there a work around ? Am I an idiot ?...... I'm certainly confused.

Thanks

Ian

SgtBilko

Re: Mackie MCU Pro, Push2 and Ableton integration

Post by SgtBilko » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Given no one seemed to be able to help.... I resorted to self help.

Remotify.io looked like it could help but in the end I have had to rewrite a couple of the Mackie Scripts. Now whenever a track is selected in Ableton or Push2 the Mackie swaps banks (if necessary) so that the selected track is displayed. I also limited the Jog wheel to Arrangement view and stopped "Zoom" and "Scrub" launching clips etc.

It took a lot of reading .....

http://remotescripts.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... asses.html
http://julienbayle.net/ableton-live-9-m ... e-scripts/
http://julienbayle.net/AbletonLiveRemot ... Framework/
http://julienbayle.net/PythonLiveAPI_do ... ive9.6.xml

Thanks to Julien Bayle and Hanz Petrov

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:09 am

Hey

Can I please get a copy of your scripts you edited?

I have an MCU too and yes it does not follow the page banks, I just live with it but if you have made a modification I would love to use it.

Make a suggestion to Ableton. Years ago they had issues with the MCU script not displaying the PAN details for a track if the track was playing any audio (something like that) and a couple of us managed to get them to finally fix it instead of having to use modified scripts.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:55 am

nice work!

are your tweaked scripts available anywhere? a Git repo would be great...

SgtBilko

Post by SgtBilko » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:14 pm

OK, fishmonkey ..... Never done a Git repo before, but...... here goes
https://github.com/SgtErnestBilko/Ableton-Scripts

Everyone........Please please read the read.me file. I am not an expert, you use them at your own risk, I don't have the time or the talent to offer support and if you are in any doubt.....DON'T DO IT !!!!

:-)

Ian

SgtBilko

Post by SgtBilko » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:41 pm

jestermgee wrote:Hey

Can I please get a copy of your scripts you edited?

I have an MCU too and yes it does not follow the page banks, I just live with it but if you have made a modification I would love to use it.

Make a suggestion to Ableton. Years ago they had issues with the MCU script not displaying the PAN details for a track if the track was playing any audio (something like that) and a couple of us managed to get them to finally fix it instead of having to use modified scripts.
I would love to get the MCU to "follow" the yellow box created by Push2 (i.e. the tracks in Push2's session). I did spend some hours looking at it but I think to do that you need to understand the Push2 scripts...... there are so many of them !!!!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks very much for posting, will check these out tonight.

Yeah i'm not fussed with making the MCU follow exactly with Push, I do like to have some separate control to adjust things independently but it would certainly be handy to have the page banks switch automatically to at least follow where your focus is in the project so this is great.

I change the behaviour of many other functions (such as using the Jog wheel to select stuff in arrangement while holding the ZOOM button) using Bome's to change the messages. I also use Bomes to map some of the MCU buttons to my numpad to switch banks and display etc.

kites

Post by kites » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:37 am

Good work! Is the script exclusive to Mackie Surface Controllers only, or will they work with other brands with MCU? I’d like to use it with my Behringer X-touch and Faderport V2, couldn’t find scripts for them otherwise.
MacBookPro11,2 15” mid 2014
Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
4 Core, 16 GB

kites

Post by kites » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Actually, IT DID WORK for my controllers. My Push 2, Faderport v2, and X-Touch are all following each other like good children should! And yes, this includes track selection on Ableton Live 10 as well.

Thanks very much for your work Ian!

Best,
Kites
MacBookPro11,2 15” mid 2014
Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
4 Core, 16 GB

tasty_mushroom

Post by tasty_mushroom » Thu May 14, 2020 1:30 pm

SgtBilko wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:14 pm
OK, fishmonkey ..... Never done a Git repo before, but...... here goes
https://github.com/SgtErnestBilko/Ableton-Scripts

Everyone........Please please read the read.me file. I am not an expert, you use them at your own risk, I don't have the time or the talent to offer support and if you are in any doubt.....DON'T DO IT !!!!

:-)

Ian
Hey Lan!
is it possible to re-upload your script?

steveblaque

Post by steveblaque » Sat May 16, 2020 10:25 am

ian, i'm quite new here, and in fact kind've new to forums.....but have been using ableton for a long time now...though superficially. have bought push but it's on the docks in another country and i'm stuck still in china and can't get out....i bought a mackie mcu pro...loving it but feel i'm not using to its fullest. i'm short of a full list of commands and even hacks to get it working to a full extent...so by writing here i'm wondering if you have any information on this ...or a site i could go to source the information i'm looking for ......appreciate your taking time if you've read this...best steve

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat May 16, 2020 12:04 pm

I wrote a review a while ago based mainly around using the MCU in Live, that was back when I was on WinXP over a decade ago

https://freelancesoundlabs.com/index.ph ... ol-surface

But what may be of use is the MCU template which you can print out onto magnetic paper and if you have the patience and a craft scalpel blade you can cut out all the square button holes and slap it on your MCU

You can download the Photoshop file to print out here:
https://freelancesoundlabs.com/download ... s.com).zip

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 pm

here's one of the available MIDI maps for the MCU Pro:

http://www.jjlee.com/qlab/Mackie%20Cont ... %20Map.pdf

bob forward

Post by bob forward » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Hi, is there a possibilty to get the customize script for using the push 2 and the mackie mcu pro in ableton?. I need this function. Thanx a lot.

Timm

yurisilva

Post by yurisilva » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:21 pm

Hello, is that possible to share the Faderport Script, the link is broken.
Thank you so much.
Cheers.