Closing project vs forced closing (PC)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pietras Beats

Closing project vs forced closing (PC)

Post by Pietras Beats » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:44 am

Hi,

I've noticed that when I'm closing big project in the standard way, it takes long time. But when I'm doing this using for example task manager it takes only seconds. Is there any reason that makes standard closing better?

TomKern

Re: Closing project vs forced closing (PC)

Post by TomKern » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:56 am

Well forced closing is like forcing a crash.
So you don't save, you don't disconnect any sound cards etc. The latter should be quite audible on your monitors.

You also don't purge the undo history, which might become unwieldy if you always shut down like this.

Pietras Beats

Post by Pietras Beats » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:03 pm

antic604: yeah, but it's not an answer on my question :P Pozdro ;)
TomKern wrote: So you don't save, you don't disconnect any sound cards etc. The latter should be quite audible on your monitors.

You also don't purge the undo history, which might become unwieldy if you always shut down like this.
Let's say we will save before "hard exit".

So you write about saving, but in normal closing there is no saving action either. You write about history purge - but Ableton history is always purged after saving. You write about disconnecting sound card (and probably you also mean drivers) - ok here I can imagine some problem, but not in my configuration. And you write about audible closing moment - yes, but it is very soft.

I'm not saying that I am closing like that. Actually I'm not, because I am afraid of that, but it would be useful while working with my big template projects :) I am just curious why in big projects with a lot of vst, Ableton needs so much time to close project, while "forced closing" is so fast.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Well when closing you usually get a dialog of if you want to save. So there's that. If you save before shutting down, you are right the undo history gets reset. And if you disconnect your sound card beforehand there is not gonna be a pop in your monitors either. So I'm not sure what the actual difference is in this case. But I also doubt that you still save much time after you have already done these things.

I wouldn't risk it for that small benefit of time saved, but hey, I won't judge you either 8)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:12 am

Housekeeping!

Software uses system resources that have to be released and cleaned up when software is closed.

When you shutdown software (especially on large projects) it will do some housekeeping as you close such as clean up temp files, close processes in use such as Push script, controller scripts, live library database, clear Ram usage etc. in a controlled way. Remember that Live uses other processes that are in read/write all the time like the library. If that library scanner is doing some updates to the database and you just pull the rug out, guess what, you'r library will probably be corrupt and it will have to index all over again.

This is the same with switching your PC off around the back Vs powering it down. Even an SSD based system can become corrupt if power is lost because of all of the above.

So always shut down the proper way to avoid potential headaches later in life.

Pietras Beats

Post by Pietras Beats » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:21 am

jestermcgee - thank you!

I was hoping that this knowledge could help in optimizing big template projects to avoid somehow open/exit waiting. And yes, I know about hard turning off computer problems :)

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:51 am

....BTW, what I really can't get my head around is, that Live still crashes if closing it is initiated by Windows.
Every so often I forget that it is still running in the background when I shut down Windows. It will faithfully ask you if it should save your work.
And crash!!

I mean, seriously, after so many years ???