Changing lengths of notes on a midi track

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jonel

Changing lengths of notes on a midi track

Post by jonel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:26 pm

I have a midi track that I would like to modify. The existing tempo is 120. What I would like to do is keep the tempo at 120 but have the midi notes play over an increased time. Say the existing clip plays over 2 seconds, I would like this clip to play over 4 seconds while keeping the same tempo. I began to do this manually but thought I would ask if any features of Ableton will help.

Thanks

John

TomKern

Re: Changing lengths of notes on a midi track

Post by TomKern » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Well you could just select them all and then drag them out to the desired length. Or you can use the Note Length Midi device.

antic604

Post by antic604 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:18 pm

If you want to increase (double) the spaces between notes, you can select notes and click "*2" button in "notes" tab left to the pianoroll.

If you want to stretch the notes, select them & then drag right border of any one of them - all notes will get longer by that same interval.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/editi ... elocities/

mmorgan

Post by mmorgan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Under the 'Notes' section of the MIDI editor there are two buttons. One to cut the time in half and one to increase the duration by two. I think if you select the latter it will do what you have described.
Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
Intel i7-2600 @3.4GHz; 16G Ram; Win 10-64; Live 9.5
RME-Fireface UFX; Machine II; APC40; MPK25;
Guitars and Amps

jonel

Post by jonel » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Thank you all, great answers and very helpful. I now realise I have some serious study to carry out on Ableton MIDI. The :2 and *2 I tried whilst waiting for the reply and 'dragging the notes after selection I've now tried. Both are very useful to me now.

Regards

John