Compose a melody on chords

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Wakeon

Compose a melody on chords

Post by Wakeon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Hey friends,
I've got some difficulties with the creation of my new song.
Indeed i have four chords but i don't know how to place a melody (which sounds good) on it ?
Should I set same notes I used for each chord or should i use notes of the first chord during the first chord, notes of the second chord during the second etc...
Can you explain me please :)?
Thanks a lot!

stringtapper

Re: Compose a melody on chords

Post by stringtapper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:58 pm

What are the chords?
Unsound Designer

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Here's a little trick to get the melodic juices flowing...

Take a MIDI track containing the chord progression and route the MIDI output to another MIDI track with an arpeggiator plugin on it. When you record this second track, the arpeggiator will automatically create a series of notes in tune and time with the movement of the chords.

Experiment with different arpeggiator settings, move some notes around, change the lengths of some notes... you can create interesting melodies very quickly based off the chords this way.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

Wakeon

Post by Wakeon » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:02 pm

chords are D/E/C/G

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:14 pm

the change from the 2nd inversion of Gmaj to Emajor always reminds me of See the sky about to rain, by Neil Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gexLjlOP0g

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Wakeon wrote:Hey friends,
I've got some difficulties with the creation of my new song.
Indeed i have four chords but i don't know how to place a melody (which sounds good) on it ?
Should I set same notes I used for each chord or should i use notes of the first chord during the first chord, notes of the second chord during the second etc...
Can you explain me please :)?
Thanks a lot!
This is my basic method for moving an idea forward with no specific current idea:

Try notes
Find the notes, optionally those in the scale — and play the loop of only one chord or maybe two. Pick out 3 notes (of the scale= by ear that feel good and play only these in various ways while recording. Listen to these notes and let these mini-melodies speak to you. As you're recording this don't hesitate to deviate from any figure you find with only these three notes (just pick a number).

Listen to the recording
After recording listen back and see which sections you like and copy these to new clips. Simplest way is to duplicate the recording and crop the clip around the parts you like. Alternatively learn to play thee little phrases at will and do that while re-recording. Play around as much as you want, but limit yourself more or less to the notes you selected. If you deviate return to these. Use that basic rule of thumb as long as it works for you.

Go one step further
Do all of this while playing back. After you got one little melody, lengthen the chord track and play both the first and the second chord, Set the melody track and one of the promising clips to the same length in overdub mode and let the clip play the notes you got from the recording, this clip being silent when the second chord plays, or play these yourself, whatever feels best for you.

Move the phrases
Now start playing the same figure either in the same position or move the same figure to another position in the scale, keeping the relative intervals (within the scale most likely, so will shift in places for the actual heard notes).

Experiment
Experiment with changing the order of the notes, the rhythm and so on, but keep it simple and try to play what feels good and relevant and limit yourself a bit. Keep it as simple as you want it.

Make room for variation
When you got something, double the clip length and delete the second part playing at the same time as the second chord (i e keep the first you just did).

Now the clip is playing 4 different sections, three with notes: your first section phrase, the second section phrase, the third section repeats the first and then an empty fourth section.

Use this basic set up to make a number of variations for the first 2 chords. When you got something you like, duplicate and delete the repetitions you want to make variations of. Then use overdub to record new variations in the places where you have no notes (as you deleted them). All the time use the same basic figure and deviate as you see fit.

Keep going
Keep going like this and lengthen the chord track so it plays one more chord in the progression every time you lengthen playback and keep "filling in" your melody.

Use undo
If you want to delete what you just recorded while still recording just do undo and record again. You must keep overdub on in order to keep the old notes, OK?

Ignore "mistakes"
Alternatively learn your simple figure and play all basic phrases that you come up with varying each one as you go. Don't worry about mistakes. There are none. Just keep going. When you get the hang of it you can stop thinking about what you do and let the music flow…

Listen, save and delete
In the end you will have a lot of clips with many ideas. Take a short break. after saving, and then come back and listen trough and delete what you don't like, keep the rest for the next session. Don't worry about deleting, you will have other even better ideas. Creativity is limitless. Don't stop the flow, just roll with it.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Wakeon wrote:chords are D/E/C/G
As in D major, E major, C major, and G major?

If so, then G major is going to be the key to use (i.e. G major, D major, and C major are all diatonic to the key of G major).

If the E chord is indeed E major then you're moving out of G major temporarily since the E major chord's 3rd is G#, which is not native to the key of G major.
Unsound Designer

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:42 am

Just your fingers around on your instrument until you hear it. Just remember that less is more with melody. Simple is what gets stuck in peoples heads.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

carrieres

Post by carrieres » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Yamaha CS-30, Roland SH-1 and MKS70, Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Yamaha FS1R, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation Remote 37SL, Alesis M1Active 520, Novation Launchpad PRO
Intel i7-7700HQ, Windows 10, Ableton Live 10 Suite
http://soundcloud.com/ccarrieres

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:22 pm

I just would like to add that staying in the scale of the key isn't enough, nor strictly necessary, to make a good melody. Especially if you "borrow" chords from other scales for your progressions. It's a good starting point of limitations, that's all.
A significant number of great tracks aren't staying in one scale in every moment, even when it's dominantly in a specific key. It's up to the composer to decide when to stay inside the scale, when to borrow notes from outside it and when to pivot into another key (and scale).
Make some music!