Record incoming MIDI CC in Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
feytus

Record incoming MIDI CC in Live?

Post by feytus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi there! I use Ableton Live to record separate tracks from my modular synth. I can have my modular synth send MIDI CC messages to Live (which I then want to route to the Resolume VJ software), but how do I record these MIDI CC messages "linearly"? Like, I don't want to record them into looping clips, but into the timeline view (so no limit to the length of the clip).

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? I've been searching around, but all I can find is about how to record into clip view, but I specifically want to record into timeline view instead.

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Cheers

pottering

Re: Record incoming MIDI CC in Live?

Post by pottering » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:24 am

You can record CCs in Arrangement View, but the recorded CC data is still only shown as Envelopes on the resulting Clip (can be as long as you want of course) in the bottom pane.
♥♥♥

feytus

Post by feytus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Hey! Thanks for this, didn't see the reply until now. :) I've tried to record the incoming MIDI CC on a new MIDI Clip though, but it doesn't seem to get recorded. How exactly would you go about doing this?

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Normally, you'd have to start with your synth's MIDI implementation chart so you can tell Live which CC to record. Since you're recording a modular, how are you converting CV to CC?
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

feytus

Post by feytus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks. :) I've just recently got the addac 221 module, which converts CV to midi cc. I haven't figured out how to record the midi cc yet, but I'm on it, and will report back if I figure it out, for future reference. :)