Nightmare routing Strymon Bluesky as fx send to multi channe

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yousefk

Nightmare routing Strymon Bluesky as fx send to multi channe

Post by yousefk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:46 am

Hey all,

I really could use your help for me to figure out this mess i'm in, with a concert on the way :cry:

So i'm connecting my Strymon bluesky inputs to my apollo twin duo outputs 3/4 and i'm connecting the outputs of the bluesky to my apollo twin inputs 1/2.

In Abelton, in the return track i loaded it with "External audio effect" plugin and setup the outputs and the inputs correctly. now here are my two problems:

1-The reverb is there even if the return A nob on the midi track is volumed to zero, i still have reverb, actually in every instrument i have, now the reverb i can here it no matter if the send A is up or down. That way i can't apply the amount i want for each track i want.

2-There is problem in the gain or the volume, it is somehow very sensitive, there is some sort of feedback or something, i can't get the full out of the pedal, if i raise the decay on the pedal it gets crazy in ableton and same with the gain on the "External audio effect" plugin in the return track, i have to lower both, and that way i can only get a little bit of reverb. Why is that happening? I read online but was not so clear that maybe something called DI Boxes might solve this? but it shouldn't be the case with using one pedal i believe, or what?

Thanks in advance guys,
Best

yousefk

Re: Nightmare routing Strymon Bluesky as fx send to multi channe

Post by yousefk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:52 am

Here is a screen shot.

http://imgur.com/a/CZWsJ

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:47 pm

I don't understand what you want to achieve here. Don't you want the Bluesky to be able to receive sends from each channel as you set these and then have the resulting reverberated sound mixed back into the song?

Is there a problem using the External Audio effect on the return? Why not just use that? Or are you on Intro or Lite?
Make some music!

yousefk

Post by yousefk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Stromkraft wrote:I don't understand what you want to achieve here. Don't you want the Bluesky to be able to receive sends from each channel as you set these and then have the resulting reverberated sound mixed back into the song?

Is there a problem using the External Audio effect on the return? Why not just use that? Or are you on Intro or Lite?
I want to use the Bluesky to send reverb to specific tracks in Ableton (i.e vocal, software midi sounds, etc). am i connecting it wrong? i should not send it back to the pedal you mean?

I am using the External Audio on the return. did you see the picture? i'm using live.

Thanks for your reply :)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:21 pm

yousefk wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:I don't understand what you want to achieve here. Don't you want the Bluesky to be able to receive sends from each channel as you set these and then have the resulting reverberated sound mixed back into the song?

I want to use the Bluesky to send reverb to specific tracks in Ableton (i.e vocal, software midi sounds, etc). am i connecting it wrong? i should not send it back to the pedal you mean?

I am using the External Audio on the return. did you see the picture? i'm using live.

Thanks for your reply :)
The path of the signal should be:
  • Sends to the return track with External Effect on it
  • Audio to of this External Effect, in your case, to outputs 3/4
  • The physical 3/4 outputs of your audio interface connected to the left and right input of the Reverberator
  • The left and right output of the Reverberator to your 1/2 physical inputs of your audio interface
  • Audio from of this External Effect, in your case, set to inputs 1/2

Nothing else should be sending to this external effect!

With this set up, if you're not sending anything to this reverberator return track, then likely you need to investigate if you're both sending to Reverberator somehow and are also mixing the 1/2 inputs back into you master channel in your audio interface. If you turn off the return, is there still reverb?

As always, follow the signals. I think in most cases going backwards is the easiest, but what matters is checking each step.
Make some music!

yousefk

Post by yousefk » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Solved, the problem was in the Apollo AUD console, i had to somehow activate the outputs 3/4 and then mute the inputs from the sound card.
And now i get even full potential of the reverb, because of muting the inputs from the interface, it nearly got me crazy.

Thanks so much man ! Much much appreciated ! <3

martyjcam

Post by martyjcam » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 am

IF you could run me through the steps of how to do this on the console and then ableton and also what/where you I/Os are plugged into from the bigsky to the Apollo.

Thanks

goetzlich

Post by goetzlich » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:11 pm

yousefk wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:16 pm
Solved, the problem was in the Apollo AUD console, i had to somehow activate the outputs 3/4 and then mute the inputs from the sound card.
And now i get even full potential of the reverb, because of muting the inputs from the interface, it nearly got me crazy.

Thanks so much man ! Much much appreciated ! <3
Can you please tell me what you did? I've got the same problem. My routings are...Bigsky out > Apollo In 1+2 // Apollo Out 1+2 > BigSky In. The External audio Effect in Ableton routed to 1+2 each but not getting any signal.

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:25 pm

Check your routings/levels etc in your soundcards mixer software.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P