Core Drum Kit Release Problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
yop44

Core Drum Kit Release Problem

Post by yop44 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi,

setting release to 1ms doesn't allow to play sound, If Decay is set to 1ms too, and sustain to 0dB.
I don't understand this. Using any sample in a drumkit with those setting it will work, but with core drum kit like 909 it won't. Why?
My music : Soundcloud

Shift Gorden

Re: Core Drum Kit Release Problem

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Not sure about the other drum kits, but a release and decay of 1ms is crazy short. In my mind, it makes sense you'd get nothing out of that (unless I'm going crazy).

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:24 pm

yop44 wrote:Hi,
setting release to 1ms doesn't allow to play sound, If Decay is set to 1ms too, and sustain to 0dB.
I don't understand this. Using any sample in a drumkit with those setting it will work, but with core drum kit like 909 it won't. Why?
What would the problem using a 2-20ms decay be? If you want to understand I'd suggest you analyse the time aspect of the sample.
Make some music!

yop44

Post by yop44 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 am

I made some further tests, by setting always Attack 0ms, Decay 1ms, Sustain 0dB, Release 1ms for me a sound should be heard when hitting the note AND until it's released. I make this tests with rides (longer sounds)
It works fine with Kit-Core Jarble, Kit-Core Ichor, Kit-Core Heritage.
It doesn't work with Kit-Core 909, Kit-Core 808, Kit-Core C78.

I checked all setting in simpler for all the kits but no hint on why it works differently. I only noticed that for kits working fine, simpler is on 1-Shot mode by default.

I'd like to understand why.

P.S. This is not a huge deal for me, setting gate mode in 1-Shot made the trick, but I'd like to understand.
My music : Soundcloud