How to reduce volume within a track

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Scrub Tillman

How to reduce volume within a track

Post by Scrub Tillman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 am

I have a stereo drum track and I want to reduce the volume in certain sections of the track. Not the overall volume of the entire track, just a few sections. How can I do this?

Tarekith

Re: How to reduce volume within a track

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:30 am

You could use volume automation, or put a Utility device on the track and automate the gain knob on that.

antic604

Post by antic604 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Tarekith wrote:You could use volume automation, or put a Utility device on the track and automate the gain knob on that.
...or you can automate volume of the samples, or output level of the drum rack, etc. there's a lot of ways to do it, but - indeed - the least recommended is to automate the volume of the track, because you might want to adjust it later in the mixing stage and you'll lose that automation.

Scrub Tillman

Post by Scrub Tillman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks for the help! For now I'm going into utilities and putting a gain control on the track, then drawing the levels where I want them to be. I realize it's not ideal for mixing but it's the only concept I can grasp right now.

:)

Here is how I wish this could be done: highlight the portion of the track for volume reduction, then use a drop down menu and select volume and adjust as necessary.

antic604

Post by antic604 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Scrub Tillman wrote:Thanks for the help! For now I'm going into utilities and putting a gain control on the track, then drawing the levels where I want them to be. I realize it's not ideal for mixing but it's the only concept I can grasp right now.

Here is how I wish this could be done: highlight the portion of the track for volume reduction, then use a drop down menu and select volume and adjust as necessary.
If you're using the Utility effect, then you're doing it correctly :)

And you can actually do it like you desribed - just enable the automation lane for the track you're editing, choose Utility, choose 'Gain', click "b" to switch to drawing mode and draw the volume as you wish :)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:56 am

antic604 wrote:
Scrub Tillman wrote:Thanks for the help! For now I'm going into utilities and putting a gain control on the track, then drawing the levels where I want them to be. I realize it's not ideal for mixing but it's the only concept I can grasp right now.

If you're using the Utility effect, then you're doing it correctly :)

And you can actually do it like you desribed - just enable the automation lane for the track you're editing, choose Utility, choose 'Gain', click "b" to switch to drawing mode and draw the volume as you wish :)
The easiest is probably to select the section in this lane for Utility:gain and then move the mouse pointer towards the ghosted automation line until it turns blue indicating it's editable and then hold down and move to the proper value. This ensures the whole section gets the same level.
Make some music!

AliMc

Post by AliMc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 am

if you are working in arrangement view, another method would be to split your stereo clip (cmd-E mac, ctrl-E win) at the points where you want to lower the volume.
Then you can just use the fader in the clip view (bottom left when you double click on the clip) to lower volume for each part of your track.
An advantage of this method is that you can visually see the waveform reducing or increasing as you move the fader.
Once you have finished your edits, you could consolidate the track back to a single clip using cmd or ctrl J ( mac or windows) if you prefer to have a single clip.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:33 am

I wish Ableton would put in a second volume slider (and additional assignable sliders) for each track in Arrangement view. :idea: Currently, to use Utility, you have to insert it, then click the gain button, then if you want to make changes later you've got click around again. :evil: Much better if it was immediately available like Track Volume, Sends, and Track Pan. :D