Recording Live Looping with Loop Pedal and Ableton Push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mhines24

Recording Live Looping with Loop Pedal and Ableton Push

Post by Mhines24 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:10 am

So I want to record a song while doing live loops with my guitar, looping a drum track with my Ableton Push and recording vocals with my microphone, but I can't figure out how to set up the foot pedal and push to record loops.

First of all I have a Ditto X2 loop pedal that I'm not sure how to connect to Ableton live for looping. It has a Mono Input/Output and Stereo Input/Output on the back which I tried to connect to my Ableton Push 1/4' jack input. However, when I try to map my pedal it does not show up when I tap the button on it. Do I connect my guitar to the mono Input and then send the mono output to the abelton push?

Then how would I go about looping a drum track with my push?

All while recording vocals at the same time?

I'm so confused and need a lot of help. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

yur2die4

Re: Recording Live Looping with Loop Pedal and Ableton Push

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:46 am

The Ditto Looper and Live are two separate kinds of looping mechanisms. You sort of have to decide if you want loops to start in the Looper or in Live, and if you are performing live you can't really interchange them. You sort of can but it'd be messy.

If you're just recording ideas into the Looper, it looks like it allows you to transfer files via USB.

The Looper has audio inputs and outputs. In order to connect the audio out to Live, you would need some kind of audio interface. Push is a midi controller, not an audio interface. The jacks on the back are for midi pedals, like a sustain pedal.

You cannot map your pedal to Live. You would need a sustain or midi pedal. The thing is, if that was connected to Push, I'm still not sure if it would allow you to midi map. So you'd either need a midi pedal that connects via USB, or a pedal that has a 1/4" jack and an additional midi controller (like a keyboard with the inputs).

To make things even more complicated, even that can be sort of tricky since it is almost easier to use 'notes' with Live's Looper device than trigger it with CC.....

....but if you're recording using Ableton Live's session view (instead of Looper), you actually can do that with an input pedal that has a 1/4" jack. Usually standard sustain pedals work for.

Another option is if you have an old QWERTY keyboard and just map keys on that to Looper or Session View. Throw it on the floor. And use it as a pedal.

So yeah, lots of particular things to take into account and wrap your head around.

joeyfivecents

Re: Recording Live Looping with Loop Pedal and Ableton Push

Post by joeyfivecents » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:15 pm

All you need is a sustain pedal with a 1/4" plug. Plug this into the back of Push (the innermost input-forgot the number). The sustain pedal will control the record button on Push.
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel