Signal Flow in the Effect Rack

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
thehunter398

Signal Flow in the Effect Rack

Post by thehunter398 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:39 am

Is there a way to change the signal flow between chains to serial instead of parellel?

yur2die4

Re: Signal Flow in the Effect Rack

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:44 am

If you duplicate the rack, then mute (or delete) alternate chains in each rack, they will be in series.

chrk

Post by chrk » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:48 am

From the manual on 18.4 Chain List:
Note: Racks, chains and devices can be freely dragged into and out of other Racks, and even between tracks. Selecting a chain, then dragging and hovering over another Session or Arrangement View track will give that track focus; its Device View will open, allowing you to drop your chain into place.

antic604

Post by antic604 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:08 am

thehunter398 wrote:Is there a way to change the signal flow between chains to serial instead of parellel?
I think the main purpose of using racks is to take advantage of parallel processing? Otherwise, just put the effects one after the other (outside or within the rack, as well).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:35 am

They are good for parallel processing but they are also good for macros and tidying things up.

antic604

Post by antic604 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 am

yur2die4 wrote:They are good for parallel processing but they are also good for macros and tidying things up.
Yes, but then why go against the design - just put the effects one after the other in a chain within the rack, instead of creating parallel chains and expecting Ableton to change the functionality that was in a 1st place introduced to allow for parallel processing.

It's like having a fork & a knife and complaining that the former doesn't allow you to cut your meal, when you have a tool right there specifically designed for it.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:26 pm

i think he was asking if there is a shortcut for it.

there's not AFAIK, but it's pretty easy to drag things around where you want them to be.

occasionally i'd like a shortcut where i can select a few effects, right-click on them and have live create an audio effects rack with the chain duplicated across two chains, or alternatively create an audio effects rack with a dry path and a wet path (latency matched). but it's not much work to do that by hand anyways.