How do I place clips into arrangement view/timeline?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ryan.nguyen389

How do I place clips into arrangement view/timeline?

Post by ryan.nguyen389 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:43 am

I come from FL Studio where you can make patterns and place them easily in the timeline. On Ableton, I cannot find a way to place clips into the timeline.

Tarekith

Re: How do I place clips into arrangement view/timeline?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:01 am

Just drag and drop them from the browser or your desktop.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:47 pm

No worries, many ways to do the same things in Live. :)

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:57 pm

Quick way is to copy from the session view (right click on the clip, select copy), then paste to wherever you want in the arrangement view (hit tab on keyboard, then right click in track, then click paste).

ryan.nguyen389

Post by ryan.nguyen389 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:42 am

antic604 wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Just drag and drop them from the browser or your desktop.
That's not what he's asking for. He is asking how to move a clip done in Session View to the Arrangement View...

To do that, while in Session select the clip(s) you want, hold the left mouse button and press Tab to switch view to Arrangement - then just place the clip where you want and let go of the left mouse button.

BTW: I don't know how it works in FL, but beware, that once you move a clip from Session to Arrangement, they're not linked anymore - changes introduced to one do not get reflected into the other; they're separate objects. Obviously, you can also move clips from Arrangement to Session if you want to keep things in line in both views. I actually wish there was an option to enable linking clips between views :(
Thanks man! Ableton is really confusing to me, In FL, you can make the patterns and they would automatically be linked. But in Ableton, it's a process. But i do find myself with an advantage with Ableton that FL doesn't have. Ableton Live is definitely staying on my desktop.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:19 am

ryan.nguyen389 wrote:I come from FL Studio where you can make patterns and place them easily in the timeline. On Ableton, I cannot find a way to place clips into the timeline.
  • Do Arrangement Recording and play the clips
  • Drag and drop, also multiple tracks, and use tab to switch view, as was suggested
  • Copy and paste was also suggested and is done much alike the previous option and as with that making sure you're not overwriting existing clips
There is a commercial MIDI package called AliasClips by Garcia for Max For Live, if you got that in Suite or separate, that can tie together most aspects of clips so that when one in a group is updated, the others change too. It's not perfect, but sometimes quite useful. I think there's a free similar alternative somewhere too, but haven't tried that. Only $10 anyway.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:00 pm

antic604 wrote:
Stromkraft wrote:There is a commercial MIDI package called AliasClips by Garcia for Max For Live, if you got that in Suite or separate, that can tie together most aspects of clips so that when one in a group is updated, the others change too. It's not perfect, but sometimes quite useful. I think there's a free similar alternative somewhere too, but haven't tried that. Only $10 anyway.
Oh, thanks - will check that out! Still, it would be great if that was an built-in option in Live. Actually I'm quite puzzled how people work on their music to have it recorded / released - I'd assume in Arrangement - and then area able to play it live using Session? For me, it inevitably falls apart at some point, because I'm fed up with constant updating of clips between the two...
Just exercise discipline. Not necessarily in the same session.
Make some music!

Stefan Jantschek

Post by Stefan Jantschek » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 am

Hi!

The best "musical" way is just start arrangement record and play your clips
over the desired timeline.
Or as long as it "flows and grooves"
Try different clip combinations, keep record on, don´t worry...
Only this makes shure that all your automation loops are recorded too.

If you copy/paste clips from session or browser, you need to expand/dublicate the shorter ones for your desired time.
And here you won´t get all your automation loops repeated.

Then comes one of the most powerful but underrated features of Live 9:
>consolidate time to new scene<

means:
select all the great parts of your arrangement recordings, use this command, return to session view and name
your new scenes.
Don´t worry to delete anything in arrangement view afterwards.
This gives you amazing arrangement options, starting any of your best parts again independent from the
main timeline if you then record scenes instead of clips...

Feel free to ask if that sounds complicated. :)

Greets,
*S.