Best way to "zoom in" loop?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SvenH

Best way to "zoom in" loop?

Post by SvenH » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 am

I am new Live and wonder about the fastest way to do the following:

Let's say I am in session view, editing a MIDI clip controlling a drum rack to create a nice beat. The beat is eight bars and I have currently zoomed in on the last bar to create a fill. In the fill creation process I want to be able to quickly switch between looping the last bar when focusing on the details there on one hand and looping all eight bars to hear how it works in context on the other hand. What's the quickest way to change the loop size in this scenario?

Had my "detail editing" been on the first bar, I could just change the loop length by hitting ctrl+up/down arrow, but since I want to edit *the last bar* I would like the left loop locator to move instead of the right loop locator when changing the loop length. How would you Live gurus do this?

In many other DAWs, there are ways to set left loop locator individually, e.g. ctrl+click in the ruler bar to set left loop locator and alt+click to set the right locator. I don't think you can do something like this in Live?

Grateful for help,
Sven

Tarekith

Re: Best way to "zoom in" loop?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:36 am

I think I understand what you're asking. Select the loop brace, then press the up arrow on your keyboard. Does that do what you want?

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:28 am

Tarekith wrote:I think I understand what you're asking. Select the loop brace, then press the up arrow on your keyboard. Does that do what you want?
Thanks for your reply, but this is not exactly what I am after. I probably did not explain it so well, but I have a few ideas I will test when I can reach my music production computer next time. I will report my progress here.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 am

Having searched a lot on information about zooming and looping, I have found that I can do this:

When I am looping the whole clip, and want to zoom in on a part of it:
* Select the part I want to edit.
* Double-click in the beat-time ruler to zoom to the current selection.
* If I also want to loop that part, Ctrl-L to loop the selection.

When I want to zoom out after having been zoomed in:
* Ctrl+A to select all
* Ctrl-L to loop the selection.

Thanks,
Sven

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 am

SvenH wrote:Having searched a lot on information about zooming and looping, I have found that I can do this:

When I am looping the whole clip, and want to zoom in on a part of it:
* Select the part I want to edit.
* If I also want to loop that part, Ctrl-L to loop the selection.

When I want to zoom out after having been zoomed in:
* Ctrl+A to select all
* Ctrl-L to loop the selection.

Thanks,
Sven
Any way to zoom in to do the double click beat-time ruler / zoom current selection with the keyboard?

Zooming is improved in live 10, you can hold command and scroll up / down, but this would be better again...