How to reduce sample rate in sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jhm1138

How to reduce sample rate in sampler?

Post by jhm1138 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:59 pm

I have a long sample containing a span of notes that I am referencing in sampler. I recorded this at 192 kHz and made a sampler instrument out of it. I would like to reduce the referenced sample down to 44.1 kHz.

When I swap out the sample, it appears that all of my markers are off by about a factor of 4, this is about the magnitude of change in the sample rate so it seems that sampler uses sample points instead of time points in the sample.

I really don't want to recreate my sampler instrument by adjusting all of the markers. Is there a quick way to fix this?

TomKern

Re: How to reduce sample rate in sampler?

Post by TomKern » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:22 am

If it were time based it would severely limit the possibility to time shift. (i.e. warping)

And no, I can't think of any solution of your problem that doesn't involve a capable audio editor and remaking the instruments.

jhm1138

Post by jhm1138 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Thank you for the feedback. I was crossing my fingers hoping there would be an easy fix, guess I know what I'll be doing tonight haha.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:29 pm

jhm1138 wrote:I have a long sample containing a span of notes that I am referencing in sampler. I recorded this at 192 kHz and made a sampler instrument out of it. I would like to reduce the referenced sample down to 44.1 kHz.

When I swap out the sample, it appears that all of my markers are off by about a factor of 4, this is about the magnitude of change in the sample rate so it seems that sampler uses sample points instead of time points in the sample.

I really don't want to recreate my sampler instrument by adjusting all of the markers. Is there a quick way to fix this?
I'm not sure if this could help you, but worth a try possibly:

Subject: Sampler/Simpler multisample workflow
Stromkraft wrote: What you can do is to, before having made any other changes to the loop, make sure all samples are selected in "Zone" and then change the loop start, the release loop and the respective cross fades. this will be the same for all selected. Works the same for changing root note (ALT-drag in Zone).

Then you will have to go into every singular sample and set the loop end. The reason for this is that, unless all the samples have the exact same length (in samples I assume), then Live can't use a value shared between all samples. This is also the reason you can't make changes before all these operations as that would mean each sample would get unique properties. It would of course be better if Live allowed for different values to be changed by the same amount in percentages calculated on the longest of the samples, but this is not what Ableton have chosen so far.
Make some music!

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Probably too late, but if you double ("*2" button) the tempo twice with the 192 kHz sample, then swap to the lower sample, it may give you the warp markers where you want them.

This may not work at all, I don't have different sample rate files to mess with. I also may have screwed up the math, you might need to divide the tempo twice. Anyway, it was a thought.