How do you do pitch correction?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SvenH

Re: How do you do pitch correction?

Post by SvenH » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 pm

As some of you have pointed out, there are certainly ways to do this is Live...

BUT - Live is all about workflow - that's one of the main things that sets this great DAW appart from the rest! Unfortunately, the workflow for comping and pitch correction is more or less worse than any other DAW that I have tried it in.

I beleive that comping and pitch correction are the only things that need to be fixed in order to have make the best DAW for pop music production! :D

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:03 pm

First off, Melodyne is the stuff. It's a key tool of mine for polish.

Second, I have Vocalsynth and Nectar 3 and can't get their pitch correction effects to sound decent as anything but extreme effects. How are you guys using those? I set them up for the key that the song is in, and they wibble and wobble, often making it sound worse than the original take (which isn't half bad).

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:13 pm

I've had Melodyne for years, and the output always sounds a little grainy to me. I'm not even performing massive edits, just fixing slight out of tune notes.
If I A/B compare the input and the product I'm always unimpressed. I've followed a bunch of tutorials for tweaking my process but I've never really been happy with it. There's always a robotic sheen which requires a bunch of post processing to mask.

Of course the Ableton integration is almost nonexistent.

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Angstrom wrote:I've had Melodyne for years, and the output always sounds a little grainy to me. I'm not even performing massive edits, just fixing slight out of tune notes.
If I A/B compare the input and the product I'm always unimpressed. I've followed a bunch of tutorials for tweaking my process but I've never really been happy with it. There's always a robotic sheen which requires a bunch of post processing to mask.

Of course the Ableton integration is almost nonexistent.
With Melodyne, you can go from total human to pure robot with the modulation tool. I don't like strong pitch effects for my stuff, so I keep the modulation mostly untouched unless there is a really bad waiver. I have found that the vocals usually (99% of notes) sound completely natural if snapped to the grid at 100% correction, as long as the modulation hasn't been touched. Past that, any modulation "repairs" make it sound more and more "perfect" which can take away from a performance pretty quick. I think the reason I hate the "autotune" sound is because it makes even the breaths in tune. Who breathes in tune?