How to make "complextro/nu-disco" ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Wakeon

How to make "complextro/nu-disco" ?

Post by Wakeon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Hey friends,
Listening artists such as Daft Punk, Madeon, Porter Robinson or Savant since a long time, I always wanted to compose music mixing complextro and nu-disco..
However, when i try to compose something like these artists, it sounds horribly bad.
In fact I don't know what sounds to use and hoot compose songs like that.
So how to make songs like these artists :)?

If you want some examples on songs i love, i post them below :

Madeon - Icarus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHs99iVpnXU

Savant - Cry For Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpNuVmDDfmI

Thanks in advance :)

CheekoStick

Re: How to make "complextro/nu-disco" ?

Post by CheekoStick » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:09 pm

Practice

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Wakeon wrote: However, when i try to compose something like these artists, it sounds horribly bad.
This may sound contra-intuitive but it works: Stop trying! Just do. Don't censor yourself, ignore quality and focus on how it feels instead, finish songs to Arrangement/mixdown. Do another song and repeat. Only listen back every two weeks or so. Work every day, if only for 10 minutes.

Do experimental sessions separately where you analyse other artists you like and do something along those lines. Don't know how? Experiment. Read interviews with artists and watch and read guides, but only one at a time to absorb.
Then get back to your own stuff. Don't try to copy artists in your own music, rather get inspired from what you like and express yourself.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Richie Witch

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Wakeon wrote: However, when i try to compose something like these artists, it sounds horribly bad.
This may sound contra-intuitive but it works: Stop trying! Just do. Don't censor yourself, ignore quality, finish songs to Arrangement/mixdown. Do another song and repeat. Only listen back every two weeks or so. Work every day, if only for 10 minutes.

Do experimental sessions separately where you analyse other artists you like and do something along those lines. Don't know how? Experiment. Read interviews with artists and guide3s, but only one at a time. Then get back your own stuff. Don't try to copy artists in your own music, rather get inspired from what you like and express yourself.
^^this. Exactly.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute