Drum Rack routing in Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
samricci

Drum Rack routing in Live 9

Post by samricci » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi all,

When combining multiple samples onto a single pad in a Drum Rack, is it possible to have all of the samples on one pad going through the same chain? For example: I have 4 different kick drum samples receiving the same MIDI note and I want them all to go through the same compressor, without having to place the compressor on the entire drum rack.

Thank you!
Sam

kb420

Re: Drum Rack routing in Live 9

Post by kb420 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 pm

Drag the first kick on to a pad. Then make the Simpler a Sampler by right clicking on top of the Simpler. Click the zone button. Then add all of your additional kicks in the zone area.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

samricci

Post by samricci » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 pm

kb420 wrote:Drag the first kick on to a pad. Then make the Simpler a Sampler by right clicking on top of the Simpler. Click the zone button. Then add all of your additional kicks in the zone area.
Thank you! Doing this creates a new problem for me though--there is no way to adjust certain key parameters on the individual kick drums. For example: I'd like to be able to adjust the ADSR envelope and filter settings for each individual sample. It looks as though Sampler only lets you adjust those parameters for all of the samples at once.

Just to be clear, I'm looking for a way to trigger multiple samples with one MIDI note, but have access to envelope, filter, and transpose parameters on each individual sample. Then, I'd like to run all the samples on that pad through audio effects before reaching the Drum Rack output.

Thanks!
Sam

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:58 pm

you can drag multiple samples onto a single drum rack pad. on mac you hold the command key while dropping them onto a pad. then drag your fx onto the same pad.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:02 am

samricci wrote:
When combining multiple samples onto a single pad in a Drum Rack, is it possible to have all of the samples on one pad going through the same chain? For example: I have 4 different kick drum samples receiving the same MIDI note and I want them all to go through the same compressor, without having to place the compressor on the entire drum rack.
As for any group of instruments needing the same treatment, just group them. You can even group chains belonging to different pads meaning you're separating pad triggering and the audio path.
Make some music!

dna598

Post by dna598 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:04 am

Make a default drum rack with macros assigned to the relevant parameters in the sampler.
Select and duplicate the sampler 4 times and drag the different kicks in to each sampler.
Select them all and group them.
Stick a compressor after the group.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:31 am

samricci wrote:Thank you! Doing this creates a new problem for me though--there is no way to adjust certain key parameters on the individual kick drums. For example: I'd like to be able to adjust the ADSR envelope and filter settings for each individual sample. It looks as though Sampler only lets you adjust those parameters for all of the samples at once.

Just to be clear, I'm looking for a way to trigger multiple samples with one MIDI note, but have access to envelope, filter, and transpose parameters on each individual sample. Then, I'd like to run all the samples on that pad through audio effects before reaching the Drum Rack output.

Thanks!
Sam
If that's the case, then all you have to do is first drop an Instrument Rack on to the first drum pad. Then add a Simpler for each kick drum. Then add your kicks individually to each Simpler. You will then be able to add effects to the one drum pad that will be shared by all of the Simplers at the same time. Just drag and drop the effects you want right on top of the pad. Problem solved. With this configuration, you will be "able to adjust the ADSR envelope and filter settings for each individual sample".

This is a powerful set up because with this you can also still add individual effects to each chain in the Instrument Rack too.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

samricci

Post by samricci » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:25 am

Thanks guys! Placing an Instrument Rack on a Drum Rack pad gives me everything I need.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:28 am

samricci wrote:Thanks guys! Placing an Instrument Rack on a Drum Rack pad gives me everything I need.
It's kinda amazing how modular Live can be.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-