Drum midi editing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mysolutionz

Drum midi editing

Post by mysolutionz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Hello all,

I'm failry new to live 9 with Push 2. When I use MPC or Reason 9 I can simply "explode" my midi drum notes to separate tracks at the click of a button. Can this be done in live? I've researched and some something regarding chains extract and it was an ass pain. Does live not have a more efficient way to simply extract all my notes in drum rack to separate clips or track in arrangement?

CheekoStick

Re: Drum midi editing

Post by CheekoStick » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:51 pm

The only was I know is to extract chains individually. I don't believe there is any other way.

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:54 pm

i do it the archaic way of just duplicating the track how many times of how many individual sounds on set and then silencing the ones on each track that are not necessary. very time consuming

mysolutionz

Post by mysolutionz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:58 pm

This needs to be an add on feature like asap. Major workflow killer.. any plans for "explode" in near future?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:59 am

mysolutionz wrote:Does live not have a more efficient way to simply extract all my notes in drum rack to separate clips or track in arrangement?
No.

I just "exploded" all sounds to their own tracks from the get go and make it so I can play all sounds from a mother track and later, if I need to which is often, I simply copy the original clip to the instrumental voice track.

I think the way forward for you is to accept Live isn't perfect and work with what there is and route around aspects that get in the way. One tool isn't other tools. They're different tools. To expect them to behave the same is to a large extent futile. Of course you can ask for features and enhancements and discuss how you want it to work. But it's quite reqrading to accept the limitations, invent some solutions for the more important parts and make music.

Either that or move on.
Make some music!