Looper effect has a maximum length?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
n9

Looper effect has a maximum length?

Post by n9 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:02 am

I've been using ableton to do live looping since version 2 if not longer. My composition method is to record *very* long loops with overdubs and feedback, etc, in an improvisation and then to later edit the results down.

I have used the looper extensively over the years for a lot of things but have gone to recording clips live in the last few years.

However, I've been using the looper effect again recently because I've been recording parts with long sustains and reverb trails and I prefer the "sound on sound" behavior of the looper for this (I can switch to overdub and let the sounds ring out so the the loop doesn't have glitching.)

NOW, I can barely believe that i didn't know this before, but it appears that the looper has a maximum loop length. Really??? I could swear that I've recorded very long loops before without any issues.

At 120 BPM I'm seeing the looper go from record to stop at sometimes 48 bars and sometimes 47.5 bars.

So a couple of things are not ideal about this: 1. longer loops should be ok... theoretically unlimited length is best for me and the way I work, but modern looper pedals can do overdubbing loops of several hours. and 2. the correct behavior should definitely NOT be switch to stop from record... it should at the very least follow the configured action (in my case switch to overdub)

Anyone else know about this? Is it my imagination that I used to loop longer this way? I'm old, it could be.

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Looper effect has a maximum length?

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:39 pm

I've just tried and it and... you're right. Well, that must have always been the case.
Ableton Forum Moderator

n9

Re: Looper effect has a maximum length?

Post by n9 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Seems lik 90 seconds is the max.

I feel pretty sure that I was rocking longer loops in the past. Filing a bug report.