live expiring, no response from ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dirtystudios

live expiring, no response from ableton

Post by dirtystudios » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:26 pm

what happens when live expires? i've apparently used too many unlocks. i've only installed live on my tibook, but i needed a new unlock code every time i installed, the old ones never worked. now they're all used up and live wants another one. i've contacted ableton (kleine@ableton.com, support@ableton.com and unlock@ableton.com) a several over the past week but i've gotten no response. i understand that they're on vacation, but there should be someone there who can issue an unlock code. since i'm prolly out of luck, i'm wondering what's gonna happen when live expires. will i need to erase all the ableton files on my computer and reinstall? if so i hope i can get a response for the new challenge quicker than this time. i hope i don't need to reinstall the os or anything.

i'm selling my tibook and getting a new ibook. i hope i'll be able to install live on the new machine without too many hassles.

k

n21_p22

What are you doing???

Post by n21_p22 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:52 am

What the hell are you doing with your computer? Why do you reinstall live so often. i installed it twice on my pc and 3 times on my tibook and i still got an unlock code. how often did you reinstalled it?

n21_p22

jdg

Post by jdg » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:54 pm

i think its 5 unlock codes.. i used all five b4 and had to ask for another.. and i got a response in less than 24hrs..

sorry to hear your emails go unanswered.. can you call ableton? i'm sure someone is there.
www.google.com

best website ever

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:57 pm

i wipe the drive, backup and reinstall eveything on my computer every few months too keep it all fresh. i have a habit of downloading tons of crap that i don't need and it muddles up my system, so i do this to get my computer back to the basics. it prolly doesn't really help, i'm just compulsive.

k

they just got back to me and everything is roses...the world can resume spinning.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:08 pm

I have Live installed on an exernal firewire drive. Actually, I boot from this drive. I alternate between a TiBook, and a tower.

This practice is going to trip me up someday? I haven't had a problem so far.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:35 am

Dirtystudios-in terms of downloading loads of crap etc-I'd def. advise you to be careful what you download and where you do download it to and most importantly what you install and where. Have you thought about keeping a 'clean' partition for a music system? You'd probably find it far snappier and stable than a system that's full of clutter. Having a separate system also allows you to perform disc utils. work such as defragging and directory repairs etc easily. Getting yourself Spring Cleaning and Clean Install Assistant's a very good idea too.
Guest, booting from your FW drive between a tower and a Ti, sounds very handy. If it works OK now i should imagine it's OK. Again, Clean Install assistant can help you back up all the essential extras you've added to your system so that re-installing your system's a cinch when you have to do it
nik

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:18 am

swizzle my nizzle. thanks for the tips.

k

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:20 am

Ur welcome, there's plenty more where that came from too........if you do partition, make your music apps/system partition the first one on the drive-it's the fastest, and do your best to keep other unnecessary apps/system stuff OUT of there. I'm pretty wary about downloading and installing all kindsa random crap and also try to be pretty ruthless in binning or archiving stuff I'm not using, so even my 'everything' partition runs pretty sparkly....the other one screams tho!

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:31 pm

yeah...i do the whole partition thing, and i was a great improvement in performance. pretty much all of the "random crap" that i download is free and shareware music apps, max apps and vst's. just seeing whats out there. i don't spend my time downloading apps that make little fish swim across my desktop or anything.

k