Ableton playback behaviour (no sync in arranger)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nilsemil

Ableton playback behaviour (no sync in arranger)

Post by nilsemil » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:06 am

Please explain if possible. I don't understand the Ableton playback behaviour in arrangement view.

I'm trying to understand how to edit midi tracks (i have 15+ years of experience doing this in Cubase and Logic). I need to stop the playback to adjust single notes and when i start playback it jumps back to a certain position, but worse, it decides to playback all in some other universe of ideas of how to sync tracks.

when i hit TAB and start from session view this works out nice.

its just i dont want to go back to session view, hit play, it starts at the old position and then i get to hear it again.

am I explaining this in a way that is understandable?

I just don't get it why it play this back in no sync.

Emil

runningwithit

Re: Ableton playback behaviour (no sync in arranger)

Post by runningwithit » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:13 am

session and arrangement view are separate ways of playing audio. session channels into arrangement but arrangement does not channel into session. Furthermore both can play simultaneously.

If your tracks aren't playing in tempo, have you pressed the master track within session view that triggers all clips at the same time?

If you want to edit midi tracks do that in the session view in each individual clip. Don't edit in the arrangement view unless that is your intention. Like I said earlier edits in the session will filter into the arrangement but arrangement is stationary, static. Session view is fluid/dynamic. Edit in session view within the clips (little rectangles)
-runingwithit aka meisterable
https://soundcloud.com/miesterabel

Stromkraft

Re: Ableton playback behaviour (no sync in arranger)

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:21 am

The simplest way to sync clips playing in Session with Arrangement is to use a loop length in Arrangement that matches these. So if your clips in Session are eight bars long, make a loop in Arrangement that is 8 bars long or another number that matches with 8.

With this set up even if you loop while you edit things matches up. If you restart playback the normal point would be the loop start or a locator point, if that was used last. At least this is so for me.

The other alternative is to make copies of Session clips to Arrangement, work on them there and copy them back. Sometimes when I'm trying out an arrangement I do that. Lately with assistance from the JGJP AliasClips Max device.
Make some music!