Backing up songs-Will 3rd Party Software Programs Be Saved?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Coffee and Weed

Backing up songs-Will 3rd Party Software Programs Be Saved?

Post by Coffee and Weed » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:28 pm

Hello everyone. First post here and I'm sure it's been talked about but didn't find exactly what I needed when I searched.

I have all my songs saved in the computer. I now want to backup everything to an external hard-drive. I just watched a video where the person said that all 3rd party software programs will not be saved and then he said you have to go and freeze each and every track. This can't be.

How can I properly save this info to my computer so if my computer gets eaten by an alien I would'nt be too upset since I have everything backed up on my external hard-drive? Can anyone shed some light on how to do this? "Save live set", "Save live set as", and "save a copy" do nothing but save the name of the file on the external hard drive but I don't see all the files being dumped down. It's just a half second saving process. Also went to preferences, file folder, and changed "temporary folder" to my external hard drive.

fishmonkey

Re: Backing up songs-Will 3rd Party Software Programs Be Saved?

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:31 pm

to cater for eventual alien ingestion, what you need is a full backup of your computer to restore from. are you on Windows or OS X?
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

Coffee and Weed

Post by Coffee and Weed » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Thank you.

OSX. All I want to do is properly back up my songs to an external hard-drive.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:55 pm

if you want to backup Live projects, it is best to do a "Collect All and Save" from the "File" menu in Live.

note that to re-open the saved projects and keep working on them will require an installation of Live, with all of the plugins that you used in the set.

since you are on OS X, Time Machine is the most straightforward way to start backing up your whole machine, if you aren't already.
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

timday

Post by timday » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:01 am

When you do a "save as" into a new location it will create a project folder with teh .als file and not a lot else in it. To consolidate all the samples, audio files etc into the folder use "collect all and save".

If your track is mainly MIDI (instruments etc) then yes the save process is very quick because MIDI files are tiny. If it includes audio it will take longer. The temporary folder is where it stores recorded audio in unsaved sessions and it doesn't matter where the temporary audio folder is as when you save any recorded audio will be put into the session folder anyway. You're best off with it on the machine hard drive not an external one as recording will be less glitchy.

If by "Third party software programs" you mean third party plugins like VSTs etc the settings are all saved with the session and you do not have to freeze the audio. What he may have meant is that the VSTs themselves are not saved (as they are in your programme files) so if you were to transfer the session to another machine you would have to reinstall them. Otherwise what he said makes no sense.

Coffee and Weed

Post by Coffee and Weed » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:49 am

Thank you very much.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:46 pm

If you back up your whole drive like such apps as Superduper does, then plug-ins and other music software is also backed up with everything else. It's more a question of how much backup space you got and whether the backup software can save only the differences (inside audio files) or not in new daily backups.

As I'm strictly putting things I use in either the folder of the specific project only (not in other projects), my Live library folder, my Samples folder, my Presets folder (I don't allow plug-ins to put their presets in my Documents folder so I have them all in one singular place under ~/Library/Audio) and my IR folder and as I'm backing all these up every day along with everything else, I can backup all the specific projects in my "Ableton projects" folder — which contains all my productions — without a Collect All and Save.

When I give a project to someone else I always use this though. I suppose it's also a great idea when archiving projects.
Make some music!