Ableton Midi Clip Tempo

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
JustSomeone

Ableton Midi Clip Tempo

Post by JustSomeone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Hello I was wondering how I could see and set a recorded midi clips tempo?
I know the bpm thing at top for the whole thing and warp thing with audioclips but I simply can't find the display or place to figure/view the bpm of a recorded midi track?
Please help a beginner out
On forehands thanks! :)

bosonHavoc

Re: Ableton Midi Clip Tempo

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Ableton removed the Tempo adjustments per clip. Probably to make room for the new buttons they added.

JustSomeone

Post by JustSomeone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:50 pm

My real problem really comes down to me being a bit confused with the grid and bar working with tempo. I always try to hold melodies in either 1 or 2 bar but sometimes when I play one with the keyboard and adjust the length of the notes it ends up between 1 bar and 2 bar and there's not option for it to make the rest of the grid after that is there?
It would be nice if the grid could analyse the short melody track and adjust the grid length to fit with it?

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:14 pm

you pretty much want to play with a click track or drum loop so your performance is on the grid.

I do know for getting your ideas in that can be an issue because you just want to play it in.

Ableton Looper is a big help for this.

Ableton Looper will set the tempo based on the loop if you record the loop when the clock is stopped.
you can then drag the loop into an Audio track or just round off the tempo and rerecord the phrase with the midi.

most important thing is getting that idea scratched in.. and then figuring out the tempo.
I learned this back when I used to multitrack on tape. record the idea.. figure out tempo.. set click.. record to click

JustSomeone

Post by JustSomeone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:19 pm

I'll try that :)
Thank you very much!

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:28 pm

This was a good quick topic for today's video topic
https://youtu.be/qnNP2KqbczM