Ableton reverb is not that bad!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sonik777

Re: Ableton reverb is not that bad!?

Post by sonik777 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:57 pm

A big +1 to Ableton including native convolution reverb and LFO.

Please!

Pretty annoying that by this stage of development they are not standard devices.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:35 am

I like the freeze button in Live's reverb.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:05 am

TomKern wrote:
login wrote: VVV and valhalla room must be the best deals around for reverb, they sound incredible good and are very afordable.
I always feel that Lexicon gets (unjustly) overlooked in these threads. The LXP bundle is rather cheap (for Lexicon), covers all bases, has useful visuals, tons of controls, is light on CPU and sounds awesome.

It sells for 199 USD for 4 reverbs. (but I have seen it for half the price before, iLok2 unfortunately required though )

http://lexiconpro.com/en/products/lxp-n ... -in-bundle
iLok and dongles... You'd have to pay me.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:21 am

TomKern wrote:
login wrote: VVV and valhalla room must be the best deals around for reverb, they sound incredible good and are very afordable.
I always feel that Lexicon gets (unjustly) overlooked in these threads. The LXP bundle is rather cheap (for Lexicon), covers all bases, has useful visuals, tons of controls, is light on CPU and sounds awesome.

It sells for 199 USD for 4 reverbs. (but I have seen it for half the price before, iLok2 unfortunately required though )

Not the original maker, but doesn't require iLok 2 — There's no plug-in that would convince me to get a hardware dongle to occupy one of my precious ports — and sounds delicious:

Native Instruments & Softube in co-op on RC-24 and RC-48. You can get both as Reverb Classics with 33% off.
"based on the classic Lexicon 224 and 480L algorithmic digital reverbs…
Like the original that it seeks to emulate, RC24 creates a rich, flattering sound with a hint of grit, while RC48 adds a little more density and realism. RC24 offers Large Hall, Small Hall and Room emulation programs, and models the old-school 12-bit converter sound of the original. RC48 provides just two hall algorithms, Hall and Random Hall, with control over all the usual parameters, plus Diffusion and Spread controls…
Both reverbs come with a decent library of presets to get you started, and because the pair of them can cover anything from vintage gritty to near-realistic, they could be the only two reverbs you'll ever need. Their sound comes very close to that of the originals but, more importantly, they are very musical and seem to have captured Lexicon's ability to allow you to really pile on the reverb while keeping the wet sound and dry sound properly integrated"
Sound on Sound June 2013
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:27 am

I prefer much the sound of TAL-Reverb-2 and TAL-Reverb-3 to the native Live reverb discussed here and I use these the same way I'd use that. Both are free.
Make some music!

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:55 am

Stromkraft wrote:
TomKern wrote:

Not the original maker, but doesn't require iLok 2 — There's no plug-in that would convince me to get a hardware dongle to occupy one of my precious ports — and sounds delicious:

Native Instruments & Softube in co-op on RC-24 and RC-48. You can get both as Reverb Classics with 33% off.
"based on the classic Lexicon 224 and 480L algorithmic digital reverbs…
Like the original that it seeks to emulate, RC24 creates a rich, flattering sound with a hint of grit, while RC48 adds a little more density and realism. RC24 offers Large Hall, Small Hall and Room emulation programs, and models the old-school 12-bit converter sound of the original. RC48 provides just two hall algorithms, Hall and Random Hall, with control over all the usual parameters, plus Diffusion and Spread controls…
Both reverbs come with a decent library of presets to get you started, and because the pair of them can cover anything from vintage gritty to near-realistic, they could be the only two reverbs you'll ever need. Their sound comes very close to that of the originals but, more importantly, they are very musical and seem to have captured Lexicon's ability to allow you to really pile on the reverb while keeping the wet sound and dry sound properly integrated"
Sound on Sound June 2013
Too bad with the dongle, I don't like it either honestly.

But I don't think these are really comparable to the ones from NI.

The NI ones are remodeled vintage reverbs. Like there are many modeled vintage compressors going after classic console character. They are great to add a historic flavor to your sounds.

The ones I linked from Lexicon are current multipurpose reverbs that you use as a workhorse in the studio for any and everything.
They let you control every little aspect of the reverb sound and give you great metering visuals to see what you are doing.

Staying with the compressor analogy they are more like Compassion from DMG Audio in this regard.

Btw. the reverbs from Valhalla also use rather current algorithms from Lexicon. The founder used to work for them and took some of the algos with him (legally as far as I know) when he opened Valhalla. That's part of the reason they sound so good.

Valhalla and their super economical good reverbs also caused quite a shift in Lexicons pricing structure for their vsts. Hence only 199 USD now for the basic bundle. They used to be way more expensive. (Hell, I just discovered they are cheaper than the 2 NI ones!)

downfader

Post by downfader » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:21 pm

I like the built in reverb, I have to say. It suits much of my sound. I also think you can really expand it by using a rack and splitting it into three different reverb settings and applying some gentle EQ and compression to either or all the chains.

Outer Spaces and Convolution Pro are my faves. I'm on an i7 with a modern config in the laptop so it doesnt struggle. I've had up to 6 CPs running at a time.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:35 pm

TomKern wrote: Too bad with the dongle, I don't like it either honestly.

Well, it's no competition for me because if there's hardware iLok involved, your product is as well as dead. The real competition is Valhalla then I suppose.

My fav reverb is Eareverb though. I use this in almost every track, except collaborations, and in my template. I have version 1 so mostly go for room verbs with that and for what I'd use the native Live reverb for, but Eareverb is to my ears on a completely other level than anything really. You almost don't think it's there sometimes until you remove it, as it's so natural. I love that.

With TAL, Convolution (Ableton and Waves IR-L) and this I have a wide range of reverbs. I only miss the Lexicon type. I haven't tested Eareverb 2 yet though, but when I tested one of the Valhallas I actually didn't like that. I think maybe NI.
Make some music!

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:24 am

holy shit i just downloaded all that TAL gear, it's WAYYY better than the ableton reverb. like not even clost. haha thanks

the conv verb in max is really good, but i literally never use it, because it's too intensive,

reverb pro adds about 10% cpu just by draggin in, the normal non pro one adds 5%

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 am

Stromkraft wrote:
TomKern wrote: Too bad with the dongle, I don't like it either honestly.

Well, it's no competition for me because if there's hardware iLok involved, your product is as well as dead. The real competition is Valhalla then I suppose.
Yeah Valhalla has great products no doubt.
but Eareverb is to my ears on a completely other level than anything really. You almost don't think it's there sometimes until you remove it, as it's so natural. I love that.
Ha that's exactly the spot the Lexicons are in for me 8)
but when I tested one of the Valhallas I actually didn't like that. I think maybe NI.
There are several reverbs from Valhalla with different characters. Might be worth checking all of them out.
I only miss the Lexicon type.
I think this depends on what you mean by Lexicon type. If you are after the classical hardware they made whose sound was so prevalent in the 80 and 90s then the NI ones are probably a really good fit.
The Lexicon vsts from today are not vintage colored in this regard, they go for a neutral transparent sound.

downfader

Post by downfader » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:19 pm

The Lexicon sound I personally liked was from the PCM 80 and 90 iirc. Late 1990s for the latter? Memory is a blur :oops:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat May 06, 2017 10:40 am

TomKern wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: I only miss the Lexicon type.
I think this depends on what you mean by Lexicon type. If you are after the classical hardware they made whose sound was so prevalent in the 80 and 90s then the NI ones are probably a really good fit.
The Lexicon vsts from today are not vintage colored in this regard, they go for a neutral transparent sound.
Yeah, I think it's the classics I learned to love the sound of is what I miss a bit. I'm not disregarding the new Lexicon verbs. I'll check them out and the non-room Valhallas too. Thanks for sharing.
Make some music!