Where are the Puremagnetik Retro Synths?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Stone Guest

Where are the Puremagnetik Retro Synths?

Post by Stone Guest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 am

Funsters

Can anyone tell me where the Puremagnetik Retro Synths are in Live 9? The link below says they are included but I can't find them anywhere. I bought the Live 9 Standard box in a shop but downloaded Live as my laptop doesn't have a CD drive. Thanks!

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/its-303 ... id-legacy/

S4racen

Re: Where are the Puremagnetik Retro Synths?

Post by S4racen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 am

They'll be in your Ableton Account, you download them from there under the packs heading....

Cheers
D

Stone Guest

Post by Stone Guest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks D. I checked there but they are not listed. If I download them from the regular 'Packs' area I'd have to pay. I actually suspect they are not included as part of Standard 9 anymore, as the comparison here suggests:

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature ... nstruments

Dang!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Stone Guest wrote:Thanks D. I checked there but they are not listed. If I download them from the regular 'Packs' area I'd have to pay. I actually suspect they are not included as part of Standard 9 anymore, as the comparison here suggests:

Dang!
Well, if it's any comfort I've never used these. I'd rather use a third party actual synth plug-in that gets close enough. Beyond original waveforms I don't see the lure of sampling old synths. It will never sound as good anyway, unless you create something else out of it.
Make some music!

interceptor

Post by interceptor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:49 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
Stone Guest wrote:Thanks D. I checked there but they are not listed. If I download them from the regular 'Packs' area I'd have to pay. I actually suspect they are not included as part of Standard 9 anymore, as the comparison here suggests:

Dang!
Well, if it's any comfort I've never used these. I'd rather use a third party actual synth plug-in that gets close enough. Beyond original waveforms I don't see the lure of sampling old synths. It will never sound as good anyway, unless you create something else out of it.
I dont agree. The stringmaschines here are very good. More character than most softsynths I´d say. Also they dont alias like a soft synth would do. Here they have sampled long samples not just waveforms.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Are you sure that you were logged in when looking at the Packs? It showed up as $99 for me at first and then showed up as free after logging in.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Yep, there's a contradiction between what is stated in each of your links.
Ask support@ableton.com
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 pm

interceptor wrote: I dont agree. The stringmaschines here are very good. More character than most softsynths I´d say. Also they dont alias like a soft synth would do. Here they have sampled long samples not just waveforms.
You're living in the past. There are Soft synths that don't alias noticeably at 88.2 or 96 kHz playback sample rate. And I have real analogue synths to compare with. Samples do alias! So I'm not sure what you're on about.

The long samples are the problem. They are recordings of everything — or of too much — which limits the sonic possibilities! I'm not saying these sampled instruments can't sound great in many cases, but you'd have to accept what is given as you can't change much.

What you can change may be sufficient in some cases and if it's that specific thing everyone love, then fine, but I feel these libraries are too limited in scope and I strikingly often disagree with the sonic choices that were made. I'd rather pay for several great synths.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm all for building great sampled instruments with Sampler. I just think it's somewhat futile to attempt to mimic old analogue synths with multi-samples. Anyone can disagree with this of course, but that's how I feel.
Make some music!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 pm

Stromkraft wrote: Now, don't get me wrong.
That's the most challenging part... :lol:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 pm

[This response was moved to PM instead]
Make some music!