Fast measurement of integrated loudness (LUFS)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dafeda

Fast measurement of integrated loudness (LUFS)

Post by dafeda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 am

Hi,

I use iZotope Insight to measure integrated LUFS, but everytime I want a new measurement I need to listen through the whole track.
Is there a way to measure this offline?

I asked iZotope and they said that Ableton is not capable of offline-processing, but that Cubase might be.
I don't have Cubase, but I do have Logic Pro X and perhaps that can do the same thing as Cubase but I guess I'll have to ask elsewhere.

Thanks.

Tarekith

Re: Fast measurement of integrated loudness (LUFS)

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:52 am

The cheapest option I can think of would be Audiofile's Myriad, which is a batch processing app. It scans all audio files and can give you a LUFS measurement without needing to play the file. Audiofile's Triumph can do this as well, if you want/need an audio editor instead.

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks for the quick reply.
I was hoping for some trick that would allow me to do this without buying new stuff, but I will consider it.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:04 am

I can't think of an easier way unfortunately. Possibly someone has created an OSX droplet or something....

... oh wait, maybe this will work for you?

https://github.com/audionuma/r128x

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 am

That looks really interesting. Will try as soon as I get home, thank you.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Let me know how it works out!

braduro

Post by braduro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:11 pm

If you received Insight with RX, you could use the Waveform Statistics window...

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:01 am

Tarekith wrote:The cheapest option I can think of would be Audiofile's Myriad, which is a batch processing app. It scans all audio files and can give you a LUFS measurement without needing to play the file. Audiofile's Triumph can do this as well, if you want/need an audio editor instead.
no offense, but i find it very hard to recommend throwing any money at Audiofile Engineering. i have several of their apps, and while they do make good stuff, their development cycles, bug fixing, and support has mostly been terrible. i get the feeling that their company is always on the verge of collapsing. if you head over to their support forums now you will see what i mean.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:27 am

I know what you mean, things have slowed down a bit lately. I've been working with those guys for awhile now, and just last week had a great support session with Matthew on some Triumph issues I was having. Not collapsing at all FWIW.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 am

Tarekith wrote:I know what you mean, things have slowed down a bit lately. I've been working with those guys for awhile now, and just last week had a great support session with Matthew on some Triumph issues I was having. Not collapsing at all FWIW.
hmmm. maybe their problem is that they never have enough resources to properly manage all their products? every couple of years they squeeze out a major new version of something, but in between things seem to get pretty stagnant and unresponsive. their forums are so badly handled by them that they would be better of shutting them down completely.

good to hear that they are not collapsing though!

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:36 am

So I did not try the software you suggested Tarekith, but I did figure out that when I'm exporting a project to .wav I can just have Insight on the master bus and it will tell me what the integrated is. I think this is the fastet we can measure integrated loudness... If the export takes longer than just playing the track this is obviously not true :)
I don't really need batch-processing of files so this will have to do.
Thanks people!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 am

Yeah, I agree about the forums, it's a waste of space there. Hopefully things pick up soon, I know they want to redo all the core apps to be a little more like Myriad in terms of looks and features.

Glad you got it sorted dafeda!

dafeda

Post by dafeda » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:09 am

Ok, so now I did try the software you linked to Tarekith, and it's amazing :) It's very fast, and as simple to use as possible I think.

nocompromise

Post by nocompromise » Fri May 19, 2017 9:06 am

Tarekith wrote:The cheapest option I can think of would be Audiofile's Myriad, which is a batch processing app. It scans all audio files and can give you a LUFS measurement without needing to play the file. Audiofile's Triumph can do this as well, if you want/need an audio editor instead.
are you just referring to the lufs measurement or are you saying Triumph can do batch processing too?
n o c o m p r o m i s e
2020 MacBook Pro 13" M1 16GB RAM 512 GB SSD / 2014 macbook pro retina 16GB soon to be retired/ rme babyface / push 1 / novation launch control xl / equator audio d5 /

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri May 19, 2017 11:40 am

dafeda wrote:Hi,

I use iZotope Insight to measure integrated LUFS, but everytime I want a new measurement I need to listen through the whole track.
Is there a way to measure this offline?

I asked iZotope and they said that Ableton is not capable of offline-processing, but that Cubase might be.
I don't have Cubase, but I do have Logic Pro X and perhaps that can do the same thing as Cubase but I guess I'll have to ask elsewhere.
When I use Melda MLoudnessAnalyzer it retains the correct Integrated LUFS value when I export, just as you learned there too with Izotope.

To me, while a batch capable application may be useful for analyzing multiple finished exports on disk, analyzing finished files is not of very high value. But maybe it is for you?

At export, at least you can address any issues you see when it's finished, and re-export. Also, exporting is typically faster than listening trough the whole thing.
Make some music!