Reverb not working on certain files

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jonahmo

Reverb not working on certain files

Post by jonahmo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:49 am

This happens every once in a while and I can't figure out why. A specific audio file (the latest case is a 48/24 stereo wav) will not pass through the built-in Ableton reverb nor any other reverb plug-ins that I have. If the reverb is set to 100% wet then the track is silent; if it's anything less than 100 then the audio comes through but only dry - no reverb is applied to it. Most audio files work fine with reverb, but certain ones don't, and it doesn't appear to be based on the file type. In this case I've even tried converting the file with iTunes to 48/16 wav, and exporting the file via Ableton to 48/32, but neither files act any differently - reverb won't work on them. Please help.

yur2die4

Re: Reverb not working on certain files

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:11 am

How does the clip sound in mono? Add Utility and set it to mono. If it makes no sound, then your clip is 100% out of phase and it results in phase cancellation.

jonahmo

Post by jonahmo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:18 am

Update - it appears that the problem is due to the stereo phase cause when I convert this file to mono it becomes silent, and if I zoom into the stereo file the two channels are identical but reversed vertically. How can I make it so that I can apply reverb to this file?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:21 am

Reverb always sums to mono before applying the effect. The output is a simulated stereo based on the mono signal, so it'll sound like it has stereo space as a result. But before it does any processing it turns it into a single mono audio signal.

You can either use Utility to put one channel out of phase,

Or you can use some of the 'stereo' reverb presets in the Live library. (Maybe look at how they are set up in the rack)

jonahmo

Post by jonahmo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:40 am

Thank you!