Best way to fire my click track with an Ipad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SPC Worship

Best way to fire my click track with an Ipad?

Post by SPC Worship » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:31 am

I have ableton live 9 and I'm currently using key mapping to fire my click tracks from session view using the number keys on my macbook pro. I set up my own click track with count ins and loops using scenes in session view. My first track in my scene is just a dummy track with the song name, 2nd track is my midi click, 3rd track is my midi count ins, and my 4th track is any loop I might use. Then I have my tempo and time signature set under master and I map that to one of my number keys to fire each song in my set. Here's a screenshot to hopefully help that all make more sense http://imgur.com/F7hncLP.

What I'd like to do is set up my ipad to fire my scenes instead of having to use my laptop keys. So for example with the screenshot above I want to have 4 boxes on my ipad with the song names that will fire my scenes. So if I hit the box on my ipad that says "keeper of my heart" it will fire my click, counts, and track at the set tempo and time signature on my laptop in ableton for that scene. Any help with what I need to do this and how to set it up is greatly appreciated.

yur2die4

Re: Best way to fire my click track with an Ipad?

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:55 am

If your plan is to do this over wifi, there are two decent options.

One is to get the app 'Touchable' which allows indepth control of Live on your iPad using a layout that is more suited for touchscreens.

Another option is to midi map your clips to something on your iPad. Depending on the app this could be a keyboard note, a square pad, or even something customizable. It's a little tricky figuring out which apps will allow you do do this though. Before you can do this, you will need to set up midi over wifi on your computer. You should be able to find tutorials explaining the setup.

Personally, I feel safer using a wired connection.

SPC Worship

Re: Best way to fire my click track with an Ipad?

Post by SPC Worship » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 pm

yur2die4 wrote:If your plan is to do this over wifi, there are two decent options.

One is to get the app 'Touchable' which allows indepth control of Live on your iPad using a layout that is more suited for touchscreens.

Another option is to midi map your clips to something on your iPad. Depending on the app this could be a keyboard note, a square pad, or even something customizable. It's a little tricky figuring out which apps will allow you do do this though. Before you can do this, you will need to set up midi over wifi on your computer. You should be able to find tutorials explaining the setup.

Personally, I feel safer using a wired connection.
Thanks, I ended up going with TouchOSC