How to mix sampled material in mono

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sammie

How to mix sampled material in mono

Post by sammie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Hello all,

I was reading some posts about producers that mix in mono for there tracks to sound good on a mono sound system that are used in clubs.

I was wondering how to deal with sampled material like for example a loop taken from an old disco record, containing all kind of material like bass, keys and drums.
Exporting the sample to mono in an audio edittor before importing to ableton destroys the sound, same with throwing a mono utility on the track in Ableton.
So whats the correct way to deal with this to make sure it sound good when your track is played on a mono system?
Will duplicating the track and pan one hard left and the other hard right work?

Thanks in advance!

Stromkraft

Re: How to mix sampled material in mono

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:53 pm

sammie wrote:Hello all,

I was reading some posts about producers that mix in mono for there tracks to sound good on a mono sound system that are used in clubs.

I was wondering how to deal with sampled material like for example a loop taken from an old disco record, containing all kind of material like bass, keys and drums.
Exporting the sample to mono in an audio edittor before importing to ableton destroys the sound, same with throwing a mono utility on the track in Ableton.
So whats the correct way to deal with this to make sure it sound good when your track is played on a mono system?
Will duplicating the track and pan one hard left and the other hard right work?
As with everything: Utility with the "mono" preset. There's no need to be exporting anything.

The main reason for listening to your mix in mono is not only for this to sound good in a mono situation, but also because applying EQ and ohter basic effects in mono makes it more clear what setting to use to achieve maximum clarity and separation. Well back in stereo any further stereo work enhances what is already really good.

Personally I switch between stereo and mono with one speaker (I just turn off the right speaker quickly when in mono) during a mixdown, or when having an EQ session.

When I do EQ for character, or fixing certain problems, I may stay in stereo. For mixdowns I use mono more.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 am

i use this mono-button in my mixers area

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Well, I wouldn't say it destroys the sound.
As long as there are no phase issues in your mix, all elements of your mix are still there,
you only lose the stereo width - but that is no mistake, that's simply what happens when
you switch from stereo to mono.
And that's exactly why you should ensure that your mix will also sound as good as possible
in mono, because that is the way it will sound in many clubs.
So, don't CONVERT anything to mono, but listen to it in stereo AND mono while producing
and mixing.
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)