Reason 9.5 announces VST support

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doghouse

Reason 9.5 announces VST support

Post by doghouse » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Looks like Propellerheads finally gave in and has created a VST wrapper that works inside the Reason rack. Beta is available today by signup, release will be 5/29.

Official announcement

kitekrazy

Re: Reason 9.5 announces VST support

Post by kitekrazy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:18 pm

C'mon isn't everyone going to drop Live and switch to Reason? Reason fanboys think so.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon May 01, 2017 1:31 am

Reason... Oh, I remember that thing from the late 90s. It never needed VST integration because it had awesome animations of the virtual cables linking the modules together which was way more useful than any crummy plugins.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 pm

i think they would be making more money with selling their devices as VST plug-ins.
I used Reason before i switched to live 14 years ago but still miss the "Redrum" and "Dr-Rex".
i would buy these two devices any day as VSt's.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 01, 2017 11:18 pm

I got Thor for iPad, that's a nice synth because of the routing.
Nothing in Live offers that ease of sound creation.

I can't see myself re-buying Reason though (previous license was with the band)

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Tue May 02, 2017 1:05 am

JAMM wrote:i think they would be making more money with selling their devices as VST plug-ins.
I used Reason before i switched to live 14 years ago but still miss the "Redrum" and "Dr-Rex".
i would buy these two devices any day as VSt's.
Agreed. Love Redrum. They have other stuff that would make great VSTs. I have Reason 9 but I would probably still use it "old school". The unique DAW is no longer unique.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Thu May 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Reason was cool 10 years ago when you could pretend you actually owned a rack of synths for a few hundred bucks on your Pentium 4 computer.

Now you can buy actual and arguably more powerful hardware for that kind of money and the virtual rack just makes using the entire thing incredibly awkward and slow compared to other modern DAWs.

The fact that the interface and devices in the rack look literally like they’re from the nineties (because they are) and can’t be scaled or visually upgraded unless you start everything from scratch doesn’t help either.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 04, 2017 1:30 pm

kitekrazy wrote:C'mon isn't everyone going to drop Live and switch to Reason? Reason fanboys think so.
Obviously, this will indeed happen any day real soon. :mrgreen:
Make some music!

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:46 am

Once they get rid of the rack and patch cables, i'm in!
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

dna598 wrote:Once they get rid of the rack and patch cables, i'm in!
Then you'd just have the most boring DAW ever.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri May 05, 2017 11:56 am

BoddAH wrote:Reason was cool 10 years ago when you could pretend you actually owned a rack of synths for a few hundred bucks on your Pentium 4 computer. Now you can buy actual and arguably more powerful hardware for that kind of money
Send me the info on where to buy $399 in hardware that gives me a two drum machines, a loop player, a sampler, a couple of synths and a pile of FX processors. Software continues to be cheaper than equivalent hardware and probably always will.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:33 pm

BoddAH wrote:
dna598 wrote:Once they get rid of the rack and patch cables, i'm in!
Then you'd just have the most boring DAW ever.
what, like Ableton? :lol:
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 am

doghouse wrote: Send me the info on where to buy $399 in hardware that gives me a two drum machines, a loop player, a sampler, a couple of synths and a pile of FX processors. Software continues to be cheaper than equivalent hardware and probably always will.
You literally just described a Novation Circuit.
Alternatively I'd get an iPad + Korg Gadget and I'd still have $70 left for Cola and Hooters. :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon May 08, 2017 9:21 pm

BoddAH wrote:
doghouse wrote: Send me the info on where to buy $399 in hardware that gives me a two drum machines, a loop player, a sampler, a couple of synths and a pile of FX processors. Software continues to be cheaper than equivalent hardware and probably always will.
You literally just described a Novation Circuit.
Alternatively I'd get an iPad + Korg Gadget and I'd still have $70 left for Cola and Hooters. :lol:
Doesn't even come close in terms of versatility. Of course he forgot the samplers, sequencers and the fact that it has no hardware limits. With that argument Circuit is better than Live standard. Let's compare a John Deer tractor to a Tesla while we're at it...

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Tue May 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Doesn't even come close in terms of versatility. Of course he forgot the samplers, sequencers and the fact that it has no hardware limits. With that argument Circuit is better than Live standard. Let's compare a John Deer tractor to a Tesla while we're at it...
He listed a bunch of specifications and I gave an example of hardware that technically meets them. Besides, Circuit can be used as a (admittedly basic) sampler as well and even has sample flipping.
Of course Reason can do a whole lot more than Circuit but requires a computer, sound card, speakers, input controls, etc. all of which Circuit already has integrated.

Then there’s the iPad + Gadget combo. In terms of value it blows Reason out of the water because it arguably is as flexible and powerful (maybe even more), can be used like hardware without a computer and can do a whole lot more besides since it is a tablet.