VST missing after 9.7.2

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
malenko

VST missing after 9.7.2

Post by malenko » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi,

My Live updated to 9.7.2 the other day, I didn't realise I had automatic updates turned on, and since then it has crashed a few times but more importantly my VST theRiser has disappeared.
I've rescanned a couple of times and the .dll is still in my VST custom folder but Live just will not see it! I'm in the middle of a track too that is using it, so highly frustrating.
Anybody have any suggestions before I go down the rabbit hole of reinstalling it and so on.....

Thanks

Stromkraft

Re: VST missing after 9.7.2

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:41 pm

malenko wrote:Hi,

My Live updated to 9.7.2 the other day, I didn't realise I had automatic updates turned on, and since then it has crashed a few times but more importantly my VST theRiser has disappeared.
I've rescanned a couple of times and the .dll is still in my VST custom folder but Live just will not see it! I'm in the middle of a track too that is using it, so highly frustrating.
Anybody have any suggestions before I go down the rabbit hole of reinstalling it and so on.....
The usually working step is to inactivate VSTs completely in preferences and then activate it again. This triggers a more thorough scan for some reason.
Make some music!

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:55 pm

There were a few VST related issues in 9.7.2, Live rescanned my entire collection, and knocked Arturia Analog Lab 2 out, so that needed reinstalling, but everything else OK so far.
Core i7 2.3GHz|Win7x64|8GB|1.5TB & Core 2 Duo T7200, XP Pro SP3,
Nio 2|4, Edirol PCR800, NanoKontrol , Komplete Synths + Reaktor 5, Cameleon, Alchemy, FabFilter 2 suite
http://www.myspace.com/richardlyallmusic http://craftycurate.blogs.com

malenko

Post by malenko » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:33 am

Thank you for your replies.

I certainly will try reactivating the vst file as suggested, which reminds me, isn't there a modifier key like pressing shift when rescanning for a deeper scan?
Failing that I will have to try a re install.

Thank you

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:20 am

I think holding Shift or Ctrl when pressing the scan button will do a forced scan

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:34 am

jestermgee wrote:I think holding Shift or Ctrl when pressing the scan button will do a forced scan
It's the ALT-key.

The 'deeper' scan discards the previous scan results, while the standard scan only searches for new plugins.

You can read that in the info view (bottom left of Live's screen) when you hover your mouse pointer over the scan button.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:11 am

chrk wrote:
jestermgee wrote:I think holding Shift or Ctrl when pressing the scan button will do a forced scan
It's the ALT-key.

The 'deeper' scan discards the previous scan results, while the standard scan only searches for new plugins.

You can read that in the info view (bottom left of Live's screen) when you hover your mouse pointer over the scan button.
I actually never though about reading the info view when in preferences, so that's a great tip. It's funny how Ableton call it the "Option" Key given it's Alt now both on PCs and Macs. That sure will bewilder some people not versed in Mac history.
Make some music!

malenko

Post by malenko » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Yes it is hold ALT- and it took over ten minutes!

Worked though, maybe the Abe's should include that in their release notes if it seems to be a common problem?

Thanks everybody :D

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:28 pm

malenko wrote:Yes it is hold ALT- and it took over ten minutes!

Worked though, maybe the Abe's should include that in their release notes if it seems to be a common problem?

Thanks everybody :D
I can mention here that I had to reinstall uhe tyrelln6 that couldn't display its GUI in 9.7.2. No problems in 9.7.2b4.

If you look at the 9.7.2 release notes there's nothing about plug-in scanning or changes to plug-ins.

Given the number of reports of problems involving plug-ins I'd say something is fishy here and that some late changes affecting plug-ins must have been added after 9.7.2b4. I would much have preferred a 9.7.2b5 instead.
Make some music!