plugin screens not closing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
galo

plugin screens not closing

Post by galo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi guys

I have a weird intermittent issue with plugin screens freezing or greying out when I try to close them. They then just sit on the screen frozen. It seems to just randomly happen to lots of plugins. am running osx el capitan and the latest live version. But I think the issue started when I upgraded to el capitan.

Has anyone encountered this issue?

Stromkraft

Re: plugin screens not closing

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 pm

galo wrote:Hi guys

I have a weird intermittent issue with plugin screens freezing or greying out when I try to close them. They then just sit on the screen frozen. It seems to just randomly happen to lots of plugins. am running osx el capitan and the latest live version. But I think the issue started when I upgraded to el capitan.

Has anyone encountered this issue?
Not as such, but I did have some issues with certain plug-ins a brief period into El Capitan, maybe January 2016. It involved a crash when closing the plug-in window. I reported this to the plug-in maker as well as Ableton support and in the next version of the plug-in this didn't happen again.

This also reminds me of an old Waves bug, involving having Waves plug-ins in your template. This is something you do? If so, remove these from the template only and it should stop. I have reported this to Waves and Ableton, but we never got around to fixing it as I failed to supply something they could recreate. It's an old and known issue. It might have been fixed though, but worth mentioning.

A temporary workaround may be to set in preferences > Look % Feel > Multiple Plug-in Windows to "on" and instead of closing windows just hide them with Alt-Cmd-P.

For a real solution, barring plug-in bugs, you may need to face a clean re-installation of everything. Terrible, but sometimes needed. At any rate what you describe is abnormal and totally unacceptable. I have moved on to Sierra now myself and I'm not looking back.
Make some music!

galo

Re: plugin screens not closing

Post by galo » Wed May 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks for your post, its not waves as i dont use those plugins.

I will try the multiple plugin screen options and see if that helps