Amazing new methods in speech / singing synthesis

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Angstrom

Amazing new methods in speech / singing synthesis

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:51 am

It's not a product yet but I suspect one of the big players will snap up a license to this code.

Demos.
http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~mblaauw/IS2017_NPSS/

Techno blurb.
http://www.creativeai.net/posts/W2C3baX ... ynthesizer

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Amazing new methods in speech / singing synthesis

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 pm

8O that's really impressive!
Ableton Forum Moderator

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Absolutely impressive. VST NOW! ;)

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Mon May 01, 2017 11:45 am

Is it real? If so, then they'll get bought out by some kind of robotics multinational. If it's an entirely new approach, then they are geniuses.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 01, 2017 4:20 pm

Martin Gifford wrote:Is it real? If so, then they'll get bought out by some kind of robotics multinational. If it's an entirely new approach, then they are geniuses.
its real. It's a neural network. If you have seen some of the Deep Dream images which look like psychedelic pattern matched slug based artworks then this is related. It's baby AI computation. It takes a curated set of input data, and uses that to create probable outputs. In deep dream they trained the net on image libraries of slugs, dogs, architecture, then it was interpreting every input as slugdogs. But that was them messing around. The real purpose is to create good simulations which copy the characteristics of the bulk input. Adobe licensed some of this tech to create a voice editor demoed last year.
This code uses data sets of phonemes, and uses a neural net to make output through a convolving vocoder.

I think this singing synth is likely to be licensed by all kinds of people, someone like iZotope can package it up as a VST. Others will use it in other ways. I very much doubt that robotics is the primary profitable licensing market right now.

Some more on wavenet tech https://deepmind.com/blog/wavenet-gener ... raw-audio/

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 02, 2017 8:13 am

Angstrom wrote: I very much doubt that robotics is the primary profitable licensing market right now.
Maybe not right now, but it could be the main one in just a few years. And what about Siri, Cortana etc.?! Or NPCs in games? Could be huge!