Analog stereo oscillators

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Aeya_

Analog stereo oscillators

Post by Aeya_ » Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm using Live's Analog to do all my sound synthesis. No plug-ins. Analog is mono output, so I'm using Instrument Rack to have two of the same Analog's panned right & left for a stereo sound (as well as ping-pong delay, reverb, etc.) to emulate Sylenth's stereo oscillators. However, if I load the project, Live syncs all of it's oscillators, so there's no difference between the panned signals, so it just sounds as if it's one instance of Analog, even with unison detuning. Is there some way to offset this so that Analog's oscillators always begin at a random phase?

Just delaying one of the channels by milliseconds isn't good enough, as the noteoff's done happen at the same time, this sounds unbalanced.

antic604

Re: Analog stereo oscillators

Post by antic604 » Thu May 04, 2017 11:19 am

Shooting in the dark here, but have you tried to fiddle with Sub/Sync level in sync mode?
When the Mode chooser is set to Sync, the oscillator’s waveform is restarted by an internal oscillator whose frequency is set by the Ratio slider. At 0%, the frequency of the internal oscillator and the audible oscillator match, so sync has no effect. As you increase the Ratio, the internal oscillator’s rate increases, which changes the harmonic content of the audible oscillator.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/live- ... scillators

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu May 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Aeya_ wrote:Analog is mono output…
Is it?

24.1.1 Architecture and Interface:

Make some music!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu May 04, 2017 2:07 pm

I've done quite a bit of synthesis in Analog - output definitely can be stereo. Are both of your Amps engaged?

timday

Post by timday » Thu May 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Oscillators sync on startup, but if you pitch shift one oscillator and then pitch shift it back again, the phase does not stay constant. Try it if you don't believe me. So if you truly want to have a different phase L-R rather than any of the other solutions that suggests you could set up a clip at the start with a very rapid pitch shift up and down again on one of the Analogs that would send the oscillators out of phase. You could possibly even reliably control the amount of phase shift by the amount and duration of the pitch shift.