Apply autofliter in a whole song with 6 external outputs

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
TomKern

Re: Apply autofliter in a whole song with 6 external outputs

Post by TomKern » Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 am

antic604 wrote:
TomKern wrote::?
Not sure where the confusion lies.
In your picture you have already opened the Audio Out menu of the Autofilter return.
Right now "Master" is selected. You need to choose the option two slots above that where it says "Ext. Out"

Once you do the sub menu on this return will get active and you can choose which Ext. Out of your sound card you want to assign.

As to how you assign your six tracks to the Autofilter return: you use the Send dials on each of them.
He specifically said he needs to output to SIX SEPARATE external outputs.
In his OP he said:
I have a song with 6 tracks and each track comes out through an external output.
So nothing about "needs to", just that this is what he does right now.
I pointed out that he would need another EXT. Out for the "Send" method right in my response where I suggested it.

So I don't know what you are on about.

antic604

Post by antic604 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 am

@TomKern:
marctaule wrote:The point is I need it for a live session, keeping the 6 outputs to send it to the sound technician. Otherwise, through the master option I would only have L and R outputs to send to the sound technician, and then the technician can't do anything, so I don't want to do that.Cheers
Sorry if I sounded hostile, but if the guy mentioned six outputs then apparently it is important (and thus: a requirement) for him.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 09, 2017 11:46 am

antic604 wrote:@TomKern:
marctaule wrote:The point is I need it for a live session, keeping the 6 outputs to send it to the sound technician. Otherwise, through the master option I would only have L and R outputs to send to the sound technician, and then the technician can't do anything, so I don't want to do that.Cheers
Sorry if I sounded hostile, but if the guy mentioned six outputs then apparently it is important (and thus: a requirement) for him.
Seriously? Try reading between the lines a bit!

He says he doesn't want to only output the Master as L+R, he want's a separate signal for all the sounds. That would not change with seven outputs. Rather the opposite, as he would now have output of the filtered signal plus the unfiltered ones.

Your pedantry is seriously misplaced here

antic604

Post by antic604 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:06 pm

I think you're reading too much between the lines, i.e. seeing things that aren't there...

He mentioned the L/R output simply to point out that all six tracks would be summed into single stereo output, whereas he needs six separate (presumably: stereo as well) outputs for the "mixing technician". And to achieve his goal he either needs to place AutoFilter on each track and map all six to single knob (if it's possible - I don't have Push but it is possible with my Arturia MiniLab) or have Ableton implement a feature where Send track returns the processed sound to each source independently.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 pm

antic604 wrote:I think you're reading too much between the lines, i.e. seeing things that aren't there...
Is English your first language?
For your own sake I hope not. :wink:
He mentioned the L/R output simply to point out that all six tracks would be summed into single stereo output, whereas he needs six separate (presumably: stereo as well) outputs for the "mixing technician".
Yes it was mentioned to point out the difference between one summed output and several, one for each sound.
We all got that.
Seven outputs still has all of his sounds separate on six outputs plus a filtered signal on the seventh.

This is not hard to understand. Or is it?!
And to achieve his goal he either needs to place AutoFilter on each track and map all six to single knob
That's certainly one way to do it, maybe even the better one. I was just suggesting an alternative way to think about this.
or have Ableton implement a feature where Send track returns the processed sound to each source independently.
How? With wizardry?!
That'd be like unmixing two streams of water

antic604

Post by antic604 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:37 pm

TomKern wrote:How with wizardry?!
Well, that is the ONLY way your solution - with routing the 6 tracks to single Send - would have worked. For all we know all inputs into the Send track are handled separately and only summed after processing, so it could be an option if Ableton wanted it. I think you're forgetting it is a computer program after all, not real-life hardware racks with cables... "This is not hard to understand. Or is it?" ;)

Reading again I see the OP's already using Push in 'user mode' and maps 6 instances of AutoFilter to (single?) knob. Case closed, because I don't think there's a better solution, save for - indeed - buying a separate small controller for just that purpose.

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 09, 2017 12:50 pm

antic604 wrote:
TomKern wrote:How with wizardry?!
Well, that is the ONLY way your solution - with routing the 6 tracks to single Send - would have worked. For all we know all inputs into the Send track are handled separately and only summed after processing, so it could be an option if Ableton wanted it. I think you're forgetting it is a computer program after all, not real-life hardware racks with cables... "This is not hard to understand. Or is it?" ;)
No it isn't hard to understand. It would also totally break the advantages of using returns in the first place, namely that you only need the processing power for one (summed) signal, not six.

And how is that the only way my suggestion would work?! The seventh channel contains the filtered signal of all the tracks (he chooses to send into it).

It would then be up to the mixing engineer to choose and mix between the seven channels.

But seriously, it's not so much that you seem to be dense, that reflects badly on you. It's that you base some sort of pride on not wanting to understand what you are being told that does that. :|

antic604

Post by antic604 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:58 pm

TomKern wrote:And how is that the only way my suggestion would work?! The seventh channel contains the filtered signal of all the tracks (he chooses to send into it).

It then it be up to the mixing engineer to choose and mix between the seven channels.
What sense does it make to have separate 100% wet filtered sound in 7th channel and 100% dry signal in other 6 channels?! Since when mixing engineer decides on the structure of the arrangement? You're really grasping at straws now to prove your point...

TomKern wrote:But seriously, it's not so much that you seem to be dense, that reflects badly on you. It's that you base some sort of pride on not wanting to understand what you are being told that does that. :|
Dense as in "fat"? I agree I gained some weight recently, but I started jogging again so I'll lose it before summer. Unlike you, with your ego :P

TomKern

Post by TomKern » Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 pm

antic604 wrote:
TomKern wrote:And how is that the only way my suggestion would work?! The seventh channel contains the filtered signal of all the tracks (he chooses to send into it).

It then it be up to the mixing engineer to choose and mix between the seven channels.
What sense does it make to have separate 100% wet filtered sound in 7th channel and 100% dry signal in other 6 channels?! Since when mixing engineer decides on the structure of the arrangement? You're really grasping at straws now to prove your point...
What point would that be? That my suggestion is workable?! That's what I maintained from the beginning.

I never said that the other suggestions are bad, just that mine could be a solution. The choice would obviously be up to OP.

Seriously, you are berating me here for giving OP a possible solution that happened to be the one you don't prefer. Should I check back with you next time before I answer a post, so that I don't run afoul of the antic604 doctrine again?! :wink:

Can you really not see how that makes you look?!

Talk about ego getting in the way of sense :roll: