Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
serge_a_storms
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by serge_a_storms » Tue May 09, 2017 10:28 am

Hi all,

I'm in need of new mixer. I need about 16+ channels. I have a mixture of mono synths, a couple of volcas and various sound sources.

I was thinking about the Behringer XENYX X1832USB 18-Channel Mixer with USB Audio Interface. Mainly because it's in my price bracket.

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/b ... ace--71180

However , It got me thinking am I essentially buying a lesser audio interface with built mixer or is the USB connectivity really useful? I currently use a Saffire 6 USB. Will the behringer mixer be a better interface?

Do I have to use the usb option?

I also have an elektron RYTM which I like to use with overbridge. Am I likely to have any problems using the two? I currently run the RYtm into a anker usb 3 hub which seems to work well.

Cheers.
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

Richie Witch
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Space Coast, Central Florida

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by Richie Witch » Tue May 09, 2017 11:25 am

My issue would be that you've got all those input channels and great routing features, but you only get a stereo sum of those channels into Live. If you're going to buy a mixer with a built-in interface, why not get something that allows you to send all the input channels into Live and really expand your workflow?

On the other hand, if you don't care about multiple inputs, you could find an equally feature-rich mixer without the USB interface and just plug its output into your existing Sapphire.
Win7/Intel i7 rig | Live 9.7.5 | Yamaha, Korg, and Novation synths, and 12U of Eurorack | Mackie Onyx 1620i mixer/interface | various outboard gear | Dune 2, Circle2, Enzyme, Kontakt |
current studio pic -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/svVvXwLuCSjVJG8c2

serge_a_storms
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by serge_a_storms » Tue May 09, 2017 11:38 am

Richie Witch wrote:My issue would be that you've got all those input channels and great routing features, but you only get a stereo sum of those channels into Live. If you're going to buy a mixer with a built-in interface, why not get something that allows you to send all the input channels into Live and really expand your workflow?

On the other hand, if you don't care about multiple inputs, you could find an equally feature-rich mixer without the USB interface and just plug its output into your existing Sapphire.
Thanks for the input. Can you suggest a mixer that is usb and allows me to bring the channels up in live?
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

Richie Witch
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Space Coast, Central Florida

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by Richie Witch » Tue May 09, 2017 2:14 pm

For 16+ channels, the most affordable option in an analog mixer is going to be Behringer. Their UFX1604 mixer has 16 inputs with a built-in USB interface that sends all 16 tracks out to Live.

If you don't care about analog vs digital, I think Presonus makes some nice units.

For more money, you can also look at Allen & Heath, Soundcraft, and Midas. I have the Mackie version of what you want, but I've stopped recommending it since it's Firewire and they aren't supporting drivers beyond Windows 7. The Behringer unit has a very similar architecture as the Mackie, but with drivers for current OS's.
Win7/Intel i7 rig | Live 9.7.5 | Yamaha, Korg, and Novation synths, and 12U of Eurorack | Mackie Onyx 1620i mixer/interface | various outboard gear | Dune 2, Circle2, Enzyme, Kontakt |
current studio pic -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/svVvXwLuCSjVJG8c2

Mister Natural
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:44 pm
Location: michigan

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by Mister Natural » Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 pm

a step up from the Behringer would be this Tascam that features USB3.0 :
http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASUS20X20

best of luck
An Expert Only on What it Feels Like to be Me
& You Are Who You Google

http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Shift Gorden
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Oklahoma City
Contact:

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue May 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Ritchie brings up a great point! I bought a cheaper Behringer but quickly realized having individual control of the channels within live was the way to go (great little mixer, though - I'll find a job for it! Ultimately I ended up "downgrading" my Apogee Duet to a Focusrite 18i/20. I absolutely love love love it. It's very similar to the Tascam Mister Natural posted above.

You'd be surprised how quickly you use up inputs - especially if you're running several stereo ins!

Richie Witch
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Space Coast, Central Florida

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by Richie Witch » Wed May 10, 2017 12:44 am

I'm currently working on swapping out my Mackie Onyx 1620i for a vintage Tascam M-312B. But that means adding some sort of interface for A/D/A conversion. I want 8-in/10-out TRS jacks at a minimum for this new setup. The Scarlett 18i20 and the Tascam 20x20 are both on the short list of possibilities.
Win7/Intel i7 rig | Live 9.7.5 | Yamaha, Korg, and Novation synths, and 12U of Eurorack | Mackie Onyx 1620i mixer/interface | various outboard gear | Dune 2, Circle2, Enzyme, Kontakt |
current studio pic -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/svVvXwLuCSjVJG8c2

serge_a_storms
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by serge_a_storms » Wed May 10, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks for the feedback. Will look into the suggestions. :D

Having all the mixer channels show up in live would be great.
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

doghouse
Posts: 1413
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by doghouse » Wed May 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Check specs carefully. Lots of mixers with USB interfaces have limited sample rate and bit depth choices. Many of the cheaper ones that only send the stereo bus are fixed at 44.1/16.

Also treat claims of high channel counts on single space rack interfaces with a grain of salt. My Saffire 40 is "20 in and 20 out", but it's only 8 in and 8 out analog. Then there's another 8 in and out accessible by ADAT connection to another mixer or preamp, then 2 more on SPDIF and the final 2 are reachable only on the computer where you can bring in audio from software apps and route them back out to your DAW. So even with enough extra outboard it's really only 18 in and out.

Richie Witch
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm
Location: Space Coast, Central Florida

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by Richie Witch » Wed May 10, 2017 2:21 pm

doghouse wrote:Check specs carefully. Lots of mixers with USB interfaces have limited sample rate and bit depth choices. Many of the cheaper ones that only send the stereo bus are fixed at 44.1/16.

Also treat claims of high channel counts on single space rack interfaces with a grain of salt. My Saffire 40 is "20 in and 20 out", but it's only 8 in and 8 out analog. Then there's another 8 in and out accessible by ADAT connection to another mixer or preamp, then 2 more on SPDIF and the final 2 are reachable only on the computer where you can bring in audio from software apps and route them back out to your DAW. So even with enough extra outboard it's really only 18 in and out.
Yeah, Focusrite is notorious for that. My Scarlett 18i6 had six outputs. Two main outs for the monitors, two outs via S/PDIF, and the headphone jack. :roll:
Win7/Intel i7 rig | Live 9.7.5 | Yamaha, Korg, and Novation synths, and 12U of Eurorack | Mackie Onyx 1620i mixer/interface | various outboard gear | Dune 2, Circle2, Enzyme, Kontakt |
current studio pic -> https://photos.app.goo.gl/svVvXwLuCSjVJG8c2

Shift Gorden
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Oklahoma City
Contact:

Re: Mixer. USB or Analogue?

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed May 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Richie Witch wrote:
doghouse wrote:Check specs carefully. Lots of mixers with USB interfaces have limited sample rate and bit depth choices. Many of the cheaper ones that only send the stereo bus are fixed at 44.1/16.

Also treat claims of high channel counts on single space rack interfaces with a grain of salt. My Saffire 40 is "20 in and 20 out", but it's only 8 in and 8 out analog. Then there's another 8 in and out accessible by ADAT connection to another mixer or preamp, then 2 more on SPDIF and the final 2 are reachable only on the computer where you can bring in audio from software apps and route them back out to your DAW. So even with enough extra outboard it's really only 18 in and out.
Yeah, Focusrite is notorious for that. My Scarlett 18i6 had six outputs. Two main outs for the monitors, two outs via S/PDIF, and the headphone jack. :roll:
Good point, gang. Same with the 18i20.

Post Reply