fireface and no spdif in ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
il claptones

fireface and no spdif in ableton

Post by il claptones » Sat May 13, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Everybody,

I want to record my Kemper SPDIF signal via Fireface UC in Ableton, but I can't find any SPDIF i/o's in the Ableton preferences. With other sources at the analogue side everything functions pretty well in Ableton and on the digital side in the Fireface everything seems to be ok as well, because I can see the SPDIF signal in the levelmeters of the Fireface software (so called "TotalMix") and I can even hear it within this software, but not in Ableton. Why doesn't Ableton get this SPDIF signal?

chrk

Re: fireface and no spdif in ableton

Post by chrk » Sat May 13, 2017 3:43 pm

il claptones wrote:but I can't find any SPDIF i/o's in the Ableton preferences
Live's I/Os are numbered, not named.

According to the UC's manual (look at the block diagram in the technical reference part near the end) the coaxial SPDIF should be on inputs 9/10. Unless you have reassigned them in the TotalMix matrix.

il claptones

Post by il claptones » Sat May 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi chrk,

thank you for the reply. Because of your advice I made a reset in TotalMix, to be sure no wrong config is blocking. I activated 9/10 in Ableton. Nothing happens...

By the way Totalmix itself shows just channel 1- 8 and this ADAT stuff, so I can't assign anything else there.

Originally I assigned the SPDIF to 3/4, but this does not arrive in Ableton too.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat May 13, 2017 5:15 pm

il claptones wrote:
thank you for the reply. Because of your advice I made a reset in TotalMix, to be sure no wrong config is blocking. I activated 9/10 in Ableton. Nothing happens...

By the way Totalmix itself shows just channel 1- 8 and this ADAT stuff, so I can't assign anything else there.

Originally I assigned the SPDIF to 3/4, but this does not arrive in Ableton too.
All this sound like an audio interface problem and not a Live problem. If your set up makes the spdifs available Live should see the inputs for it.

Can other applications see the spdif channels?
Make some music!

kirillov

Post by kirillov » Sat May 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Hey there,
Did you Try to send some signal to your spdif input, activate all inputs in the live preferences and
then go to a tracks "input" menue and check if there is signal
Coming in somewhere?
cheers..

il claptones

Post by il claptones » Sun May 14, 2017 8:16 am

All this sound like an audio interface problem and not a Live problem.
Stromkraft was right.

On the advice in the RME forum I have disabled the TotalMix software of the interface and the interface is switched to direct through (called DAW Mode). Now everything is wonderful.

Thank you Guys for your support!